Options

Linux Terminal Emulator

StormStrikesStormStrikes Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can anyone tell me of a Linux equivalent to Hyperterminal or Secure CRT. Im running Ubuntu based distros. I suppose you could use the built in command line interface but Im not sure how to go about doing that to communicate to the routers and switches.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Try...
    sudo apt-get install putty

Never used it in ubuntu, but if it works like the one in windows it should be good enough.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    Geeesh, you'd think I would have been smarter than that and thought of using Putty. Well crap, off to install putty. Thanks.
  • Options
    cpartincpartin Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been using screen from the command line. Works like a champ.

screen /dev/serial/by-id/<device> (just hit tab to autocomplete)

Ctrl-a k - Exits session
    Ctrl-a b - Sends break
    Ctrl-a d - Detach session
    screen -ls Lists active sessions
    screen -r session Reconnect to detached session
  • Options
    I will have to experiment with that, though Im not that comfortable with the CLI, I would like to be able to use it more. I can do most basic tasks with it but I had no clue where to start when it came to trying to communicate with the routers and switches.
  • Options
    MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't have the luxury of a GUI for my linux box, so I use minicom.

It's a command-line only terminal emulator, and I can serial straight from my router to the small linux box, which is actually running ClearOS, a server distro of CentOS.

Using Minicom lets me SSH into the thin client that's running my ClearOS distro, and from there I run minicom to get to my network stack.

Gets the job done, and I only need to console for long enough to set up SSH directly on the equipment so I don't have to keep daisy-chaining like this. icon_lol.gif
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
  • Options
    anobomskianobomski Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i second minicom. worked a charm for me
  • Options
    e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
    minicom for cli

GtkTerm if you have gnome installed for you desktop.
    Utini!
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    e24ohm wrote: »
    minicom for cli

I third this...
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I have always used Guake and love it. I have it on all of my boxed that have GUI's installed. One key and it appears then disappears running in the background while you continue working.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□