Options

Which Degree? Is a degree worth it than collecting certs?

Hello guys,

Ive been reading this website:

Top 25 Online Schools in 2010 - The Best Regionally Accredited Online Colleges
thebestdegrees.org/top-online-schools-ranked/

and it shows that SNHU is second rank. I've been talking to them and they already accepted my credits. I am only waiting for my job to give me a GO on reimbursement on my tuition. I was wondering what do you guys think about SNHU? My goal is to become a Manager or a Director of an IT department. I have a B.S. in EE and a CCNA. I'm currently studying for CWNA and CCNP. After that, I want to pursue CCSP, CCVP, MCITP and CCIE.

1. Is SNHU credential in the field known?
  2. I guess my question is which degree should i pursue MS in IT or MBA in IT?
  3. Is a degree worth it nowadays or should i stick to collecting certifications?

Information Technology (M.S.)
Information Technology (M.S.); Southern New Hampshire University

MBA in Information Technology Management
MBA in Information Technology Management; Southern New Hampshire University

Btw, I've checked out WGU but it just didnt work out for me.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is SNHU credential in the field known?

Is a degree worth it nowadays or should i stick to collecting certifications?
    1. Not one of the top accreditations, but it does look accreditied. I wouldn't trust my opinion alone on this though.
    http://www.snhu.edu/341.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accreditation_Council_for_Business_Schools_and_Programs

MBA Vs. MS Degrees | eHow.com
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    thanks! more comments if its worth it?
  • Options
    cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    Priston wrote: »
    1. Not one of the top accreditations, but it does look accreditied. I wouldn't trust my opinion alone on this though.
    http://www.snhu.edu/341.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accreditation_Council_for_Business_Schools_and_Programs

MBA Vs. MS Degrees | eHow.com
    what do you think about their masters ?
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    Like all information here, take this with a grain of salt, but I'm seeing here: Southern New Hampshire University - Best College - Education - US News that they are a private institution with fairly high undergraduate tuition ($26,442), which means the graduate tuition would likely be high as well. They're also a lower ranked tier 1 regional university, which there's nothing wrong with, it just means they don't offer many (if any) doctorates.

Honestly if it were me I'd look at public, in-state programs first (in-state = wherever you have residency established), and if you find nothing there, look at public, out-of-state programs that offer in-state tuition for on-line students. There's something about public schools that give people the warm-and-fuzzies. If a state is running a school and tax payers are supporting it, it gives a school a level of legitimacy regardless of whether or not you've ever heard of it. Also, if it's in-state, you can probably gain from the school's name recognition and it's likely that there are at least a few alumni in the area, which helps. And when tax payers are supporting a school, it gives in-state residents a waaaay better deal. Just as an example, the University of Texas - Austin, which is recognized as one of the top research institutions in the country, costs in-state undergrads $9,418 a year. See here: University of Texas--Austin - Best College - Education - US News

Edit: Being in California I don't know what they offer on-line, but I'd definitely look local. You guys have some incredible schools there, with around 8-9 ranked in the top 100 universities in the world. Many are a part of the UC system. Otherwise you have some of the lowest tuition rates in the country, though with the state's financial woes those seem to be going up.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1. No they are not known but they are regionally accredited so that is all that matters.
    2. Depends what you want to do if you ever want to move into a CIO position an MBA would benefit you more. At the same time if that is your goal it needs to be AACSB Accredited if you want to work for larger more profitable organizations. If you want to stay technical the MS IT would be better but again it depends on what you want to do.
    AACSB International-The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
    3. Degrees are more important by far. Certs prove a certain subset of skills but a degree validates your well rounded knowledge level. If you are in IT you should have both but experience on your resume is the most important thing and being able to prove you know what you are doing.

Most managers feel more warm and fuzzy if they have someone with a degree working their IT equipment it represents a level of establishment for them.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology