Options

How many ticket do you get in a day?

passcert23passcert23 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
On avg? I get about 8-10 for desktop support tickets. Sometimes I feel a little overwhelm since we have a SLA and Customer Satisfaction to meet. Any tips to stay motivated? This is my first I.T gig and I am just feeling blah right now. Is going to be my 1 year this upcoming Feb but I want to start looking for a new job now. So what about you guys? Please specify what dept you work for SA, Engineer, or Breakfix.

Comments

• Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't really get tickets in the support standpoint, but have to do security reviews for IT projects as a part of our change management system. Security has to sign-off on every add, move, or change that may impact the network. I also take extremely high-level escalation from the highest tier of our technical support department but that's usually after it goes through the security analyst position first. Most of the stuff I deal with is forensic evaluations, completely corrupted disk encryption, and similar "this looks 100% broken" type events.

Probably 2-4 a day maybe? It is a very small percentage of the time I spend here.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    8-10 really isn't that bad, of course that depends on the problem. Some of those tickets can be solved in 5 minutes while others probably take days.

As for motivation? idk. My motivation is I want the pay check at the end of the week, and at some point I would like to move up in the world. I also don't want to let my peers and customers down. But everyone is motivated differently.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    When I worked support I usually had 6-10 tickets I was working. Depending on the ticket it took a few min, others I had open for 8 months.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    It depends. Normally, I don't deal with alot of tickets unless there's an outage (and most of those are WTF IS GOING ON tickets). Most of the normal day to day crap are things like firewall rule modifications.

Otherwise, my lead creates tickets for the projects I need to be working on, and I work them. So while my ticket count is small, most of those tickets are multi step projects, so they're very long. I generate far more tickets overall due to my interactions with other departments than they send to me.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Varies on time of year for me. Sept to Nov I'll get 20-40 a week Dec-Apr maybe 10 a week and May-June maybe 10 total. July and Aug are for setting up to do it all over again. The joys of working for a school district.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I work in Desktop Support and get about 5-10 a day. Like everyone else said, those could be keyboard replacements or issues that turn into long term projects.

As far as motivation, I try to remember that the quality of the work I'm doing now, albeit trivial at times, will affect my chances of being promoted when a higher level position opens up. I work with other desktop support guys who leave simple tickets open and unresolved for days at a time and ignore smaller parts of our job like making sure you move/delete objects in AD after a PC is decommissioned. Those things seem trivial to some of us, but the Sr. Admins take note of who cares enough to do their job right and help make our infrastructure more organized.

All in all, I feel like hard work pays off in the end. That's my motivation.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I typically start the day with somewhere between 30 and 50 tickets in the queue.

Typical work load through the day will see an additional 30-50 tickets generated in a 11 hour shift (I work a 4 day week).

There are on average 2 of us on shift at any time. So typical work volume per person is usually usually around 30-40 tickets per day (we usually hand 10-30 to the next shift).

On a bad day, that number can very quickly escalate and we can see queues in excess of 100+ tickets.

It can get worse in emergency situations (i.e. datacenter outage of some form) but we usually call all hands for those sorts of issues so the work load ends up being balanced.

Im a windows server systems administrator supporting servers in 10 datacenters located around the world.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It varies......

20-40 usually. However the days I am queued to network monitoring maybe 5-10.
  • Options
    pixelperson1pixelperson1 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Tickets...ho ho ho. Well, not really. Most support tickets are silly, "how do I turn this thing on (or off)."

Want a laugh? Watch the first episode of the "IT Crowd." A very funny British sitcom.

One of the main characters spends his day telling callers to "turn it off, then turn it on."

Some of my tickets live for about 6 months. Other I kill in about 5 - 20 min.

Main thing is attitude. Work with the people. "Teach them how to fish." Do a little bit of training & tutor them to solve the problem by themselves. 1.) You will make a friend. 2.) They won't keep calling you for the same stupid thing. 3.) Your stock as a IT guru will go up and they will tell their friends (and supervisor, hopefully) what a sterling guy you are.
    C. Christensen
    CompTia Network+; A+ Certified, Security+
    www.creativeoverload.com
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Half a dozen per month maybe. I get informal "hey can you add an exception to the firewall for this server?" or "can you unblock this website for someone?" from co-workers a few times per day. Most of the time I'm creating tickets for Field Techs to take care of problems for me.

Back when I did help desk, I'd get all I could handle.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Today we did just shy of 400, I did 50 myself. Most are simple things like malware cleaning, server low disk space, service crashes (dang you Backup exec!) you can do several of these at a time. I reimaged two PCs. Setup a few printers etc. Set up branch cache for a client.

Hardest thing I did today was install a license in Unity and add a few voice mail boxes.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I usually get one ticket every two years, but this summer I got two tickets in one month. The first was on my way back home from taking my CISSP in Virgina and my second... oh... not speeding tickets... icon_wink.gif

I don't get a huge quantity... I get very difficult tickets that are usually no newer than six months old. The first three months is the ticket being passed around with no work being done. The next three months is the ticket sitting in someones queue that did minimal work... then it finally comes my way.

I get 2-4 of those a week. I would be able to know them out fairly easily, but my job is "packet analysis" and that is what everyone tries to make me do for each ticket I receive. About one out of 20 tickets warrants packet analysis, if that. There are typically obvious clues but no one worries about that. These tickets generally are high priority due to their age and they trigger phone conferences with about 30 people, most of which are IT folks that couldn't figure out the problem but know exactly what I should do... I was on one of these phone conferences for about 4 hours yesterday, and it turned out to be database query times that made the web pages generate slowly... rather lame. And it was something the DBA admitted once it was brought up. These people try to troubleshoot based on consensus... I think consensus is good for certain things, like executives working on policy and strategy, or when the family wants to go out for dinner (although it can be inappropriate for that, as well)... but troubleshooting is the last place for consensus. "Do we all agree that this is the next step to take?" Uh, no... it doesn't matter if we agree or not. Troubleshooting should be based off of facts and have a methodical approach, period. One fact can disprove 1 million opinions...
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    Im pretty much responsible for everything on our network. Servers, workstations, switches routers, printers and everything else that is connected to the network (100ish workstations, 100ish IP phones, 10 servers 10 network printers etc). I would say a range anywhere from 1-20 depending on the day, is sufficient, with an average probably somewhere around 6-10, half of which are probably password issues, or sites that are blocked and need unblocked etc. With the holidays coming up, things tend to be a little busier, normally from black friday until christmas eve. After that, it seems to die down.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on the time of year really...I work with a lot of charter schools..so during the busy times its like 15-20 during the day (I was hired in Sept so that was hell) but its mostly like password resets and access to shared drives because of new PCs and teachers forgetting their old password. Now its gotten a lot quieter so I will probably deal with like 8 or 9 a day
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I get about 10 tickets a day. I got about 92 tix in my queue right now, but alot of those are builds, and the rest are issues which users havent responded back to me after i've reached out to them...

and this doesnt include the pplz that walk up to my desk, call my desk or stop me when they see me and ask me to fix something for them....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When I was fixing printers, it was between 20-40 jobs in my queue at any given time; too much for one person I thought. Personal highest was 60. Just had to resolve them when I could.

As for motviation, if you don't want to do it anymore, you're probably doing the right thing and moving on. Just make sure you have the means to move up and not just into the same job somewhere else.
  • Options
    PilotrebornPilotreborn Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My company requires you do at least 20 a day, I do at least 25 a day though, and most days im closer to 30 or over 30. I work as a tier 1 support technician.