Options

HR's are looking for IT Superman

It seems that all job posting I come around is looking for a one tough guy who have all certifications in their resume. I don't believe one can find an employee who knows everything from Windows networking, ISA, Windows 2008, Vmware, hyper-v etc. Maybe basic knowledge of all you can wish to have...icon_rolleyes.gif

Most HR ask about previous job experience.So how do you guys apply to a position whom you don't have experience but you have the knowledge?
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Apply anyway. It's said here in the forums before, HR post their "wish list".

But you have to know that there are many people with those qualifications who lost their jobs, so you're gonna have to compete with them. Apply anyway, sometimes HR don't want a superman who will demand a superman salary, so you might get lucky icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Generally if I meet 50% or more I apply. The worst that can happen is you don't get the job. HR is generally clueless and they usually add on requirements from what the IT department first gives them.
    But as Unixguy said you are competing with people who are outof work who may meet all of the qualifications so you need to impress with the resume and cover letter to have any shot.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I normally find that people are looking for confidence more than anything, they put all those requirements in to deter candidates who can't hack it. To ask for experience in Vmware AND hyper-v is almost asking the impossible. If you do virtualization you do one or the other, not both. One would doubt this job seriously deals with both. What they want is someone who understands virtualization (be it Xen, Vmware, or MS) very well conceptually.