Options

!!Urgent...Hopeful!!

Hey Folks,

This maybe a long shot, but today I discovered that my company will be getting rid of me without telling me and they blocked me from getting another job as well through some external contacts.

I have a 19 month old daughter and really NEED to find a job. If you have any leads, please let me know. I am on Monster, careerbuilder, dice and trying to talk to recruiters.

I live in the DC Metro area and you are welcome to contact me.

Sean
Eating humble pie.

Comments

• Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    You might want to move your phone number from the boards and let members reach you through the PM feature. It will be removed by a moderator soon anyway.

If they're getting rid of you I don't see how they can go out of their way to prevent you from getting a job elsewhere either. There may be more to it but on the surface, if you've got undeniable proof of this, you may wish to speak to a lawyer. Otherwise I'm in the Houston area and am looking for a job myself so can't help you there. Good luck with everything.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I second removing your phone number. There are spam bots and other nefarious creature lurking these forums hoping to get some PI on anybody here.
    Just pick yourself up and start looking for work elsewhere. Hopefully it's not true that the company is blackballing you but if they are then a relocation may be necessary. With your certs and experience it shouldn't be hard to get a new gig. Since you must have had some problems where you are working then not having good references may work against you though.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Hey Folks,

This maybe a long shot, but today I discovered that my company will be getting rid of me without telling me and they blocked me from getting another job as well through some external contacts.

I have a 19 month old daughter and really NEED to find a job. If you have any leads, please let me know. I am on Monster, careerbuilder, dice and trying to talk to recruiters.

240-505-3341
    Sean

My immediate suggestion... either leave the part out where you got fired and they're going out of their way to keep you from getting another job, or else explain what happened. This is just for future reference, as it's hard to go back now, but if you're asking for help finding a job, don't expect people to jump to your side if you tell them you just got fired and the company is not only letting you go but blocking you from further employment elsewhere.

Above is only meant to help you. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't get why your current employer would try and block you from getting another job? Do you work in an area where you might end up working together again on a different contract or something?
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    Hey Folks,

240-505-3341
    Sean

How are they blocking you from getting work? How do you even know that?

I think technically employers cant say specifically why you were fired, and can answer only with a "no comment" when asked, or something along those lines. I think anything else opens them up to lawsuits.

I'm no lawyer, this is just "stuff I've heard before".
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I cant say how it all works in the US.

But they cant do that mate, its called slander. If they even claim they are harming your reputation and putting a block on you applying for other positions then you can proceed with legal action and claim a significant amount of money.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    My immediate suggestion... either leave the part out where you got fired and they're going out of their way to keep you from getting another job, or else explain what happened. This is just for future reference, as it's hard to go back now, but if you're asking for help finding a job, don't expect people to jump to your side if you tell them you just got fired and the company is not only letting you go but blocking you from further employment elsewhere.

Above is only meant to help you. icon_wink.gif

I did not get fired. I am still there but they are not too happy because they don't want to pay more.
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    check with the irs... they have been looking for quite a few folks recently.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd also say check with DISA (since I see you have networking certs). I attended their job fair in spring and was told that the HQ was being moved to Ft. Meade, MD. They're trying to fill jobs now and I'm pretty sure tons of openings will appear sooner than later as people who are deep in VA might not want to travel the extra distance (at least this is what one hiring manager told me).
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hey Folks,

Sean

first of all, how did you discover you're getting the boot? was it through the grapevine, rumors, access to information you shouldn't have seen, what?

Second, how did they impact your ability to get another job? What evidence do you have of this?
    I did not get fired. I am still there but they are not too happy because they don't want to pay more.

So are you getting fired or are you just unhappy with your current salary? Which is it?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/