Options

Apple X-Serve, RIP

rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
Apple Discontinues Xserve, Only Available Until January 31st - Mac Rumors

Interestingly where I use to work we had a couple of these, but could never get them to work right.
CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It should be expected. With other server platforms being more popular and so many of them adapting so that they can accomodate MACs it should be expected. With the improvements in the MAC OS it is now easier to incorporate MACS into a Windows environment. The book Mastering Windows Server 2008 R2 even has a chapter devoted to this subject.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wtf is xServe?!?!? :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    A pile of crap intel-based servers that our stupid mac fanatics made us buy...after a couple years, threw them in the trash and virtualized all their services on windows and never told them, since they didn't know how to use them away. to date they haven't discovered the difference.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    A pile of crap intel-based servers that our stupid mac fanatics made us buy...after a couple years, threw them in the trash and virtualized all their services on windows and never told them, since they didn't know how to use them away. to date they haven't discovered the difference.

ha, i knew that. just never seen or touched them before ;p
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since Apple won't release their OS for Windows hardware this was their attempt to release their OSX server OS to the market. The problem was producing hardware and software really killed any profit/cost savings for their server market. And any company that wanted to use a BSD/Linux/Unix server would find better options with all the well known server brands like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc that loaded and supported mainstream Unix operating systems.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Since Apple won't release their OS for Windows hardware this was their attempt to release their OSX server OS to the market. The problem was producing hardware and software really killed any profit/cost savings for their server market. And any company that wanted to use a BSD/Linux/Unix server would find better options with all the well known server brands like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc that loaded and supported mainstream Unix operating systems.

A little OT here, but one thing I still don't get is why Apple won't release their software so it can be easily installed in a VM or on non-Apple hardware. Yeah I know you can do the whole hackintosh thing, but even then, from what I understand, is the platform isn't that stable and all the features don't really work. I could be wrong..

I'd be interested in playing more with OSX, but I don't like the idea of paying the Apple luxury tax.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    rwmidl wrote: »
    A little OT here, but one thing I still don't get is why Apple won't release their software so it can be easily installed in a VM or on non-Apple hardware. Yeah I know you can do the whole hackintosh thing, but even then, from what I understand, is the platform isn't that stable and all the features don't really work. I could be wrong..

I'd be interested in playing more with OSX, but I don't like the idea of paying the Apple luxury tax.

It's how they control the "value" of their OS, what I mean is controlling how you access the OS gives it more "exclusivity" where as Windows runs on anything so you really don't give a hoot about the OS anymore. I guess it creates attraction that way since their OS matches the look of the hardware if that makes sense?

Since they have a smaller market share and their desktops are increasing double digits every year in sales for a while now they really don't have to.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nel wrote: »
    wtf is xServe?!?!? :D

The new Soft Serve product. Apple is getting into ice cream now.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    This is sad to here. I was a Apple Network Administrator and I managed about 4 of these servers along with Apple XSAN's. I also took the Apple XServe courses. The benefit of these systems were purely price. I fault Apple's program support and marketing team for not pushing these products more SMB and corporate environment. I hope for a future return of this system or like technology from Apple.

Overall I like the look of the systems as well.

Apple Hardware - Xserve photos on Fotopedia
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    ive looked at apple servers in the past and i kept running into either full towers or mac mini

i didnt even know they offered rack mount units, not that it matters i could get a rack mounted keyboard drawer and some double sided tape and stick 2 mac mini servers in there at much less of a cost.
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: