Options

A Light Dinner, A Light Cert

Okay, so I have one more "bonus" test to complete this year, since 70-299 decided to blindside me with a punch to the kidneys. Revenge will be mine next week, though (if all goes well) and I'll be done for the year. I think I'll sip a Rip-It, gaze out into the sand, and contemplate the climate.

Okay, I'm lying. I need something to fill the time between passing the 299 and going on vacation in mid-December. Have you ever tried sitting in a extremely streamlined, efficient, un-busy work center with tons of time and a slow internet connection? Not. Fun.

So. I need something "light" as far as certifications go to pass the time. I was thinking ITILv3 or Linux+, but I am open to ideas if you are a rabid advocate of a certain cert.

If you convince me, I will (if you like) send you an OMG Official Iraq post card. ;-P
I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Where do you want to go? If you are thinking management, go for ITIL. For a management position in the future, I'd say that would be a good start.

And hey, I'd love a post card XD
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sabalo wrote: »
    Okay, so I have one more "bonus" test to complete this year, since 70-299 decided to blindside me with a punch to the kidneys. Revenge will be mine next week, though (if all goes well) and I'll be done for the year. I think I'll sip a Rip-It, gaze out into the sand, and contemplate the climate.

Okay, I'm lying. I need something to fill the time between passing the 299 and going on vacation in mid-December. Have you ever tried sitting in a extremely streamlined, efficient, un-busy work center with tons of time and a slow internet connection? Not. Fun.

So. I need something "light" as far as certifications go to pass the time. I was thinking ITILv3 or Linux+, but I am open to ideas if you are a rabid advocate of a certain cert.

If you convince me, I will (if you like) send you an OMG Official Iraq post card. ;-P

Linux+ would be nice addition to your list of certs. It seems like you have a handle on the Comptia certs why not finish that up?
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    Where do you want to go? If you are thinking management, go for ITIL. For a management position in the future, I'd say that would be a good start.

Can you just go "I'm going to take ITIL" and then go walk into a testing center?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Can you just go "I'm going to take ITIL" and then go walk into a testing center?

Bane

You can walk into Prometric or Pearson Vue and take the V3 Foundation Exam
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Bane

You can walk into Prometric or Pearson Vue and take the V3 Foundation Exam

Didn't know that, thanks for the info.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    SabaloSabalo Member Posts: 100

And hey, I'd love a post card XD

I'm not so much a fan of telling people what to do (I operate under the delusion that people ought to just do what they're supposed to be doing anyway) but I see it as a requirement more often now.

What I really WANT to do is spend my life traveling and enjoying delicious foods without the difficulty of having to work, but I'm not quite there yet. icon_wink.gif

Send me a private message with your address and you'll get a postcrdin the next set!
    Linux+ would be nice addition to your list of certs. It seems like you have a handle on the Comptia certs why not finish that up?

I'm thinking about it.. it would give me an excuse to wipe my laptop and install Linux, so there's that. it is also worth what, three certs? CompTIA, LPIC, and Novell.
    I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Traveling and Good food, the best in life.
  • Options
    za3bour wrote: »
    Traveling and Good food, the best in life.

Oh yes... when I do work, I love the jobs that let me travel.

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

I'm thinking about it.. it would give me an excuse to wipe my laptop and install Linux, so there's that. it is also worth what, three certs? CompTIA, LPIC, and Novell.

Yep. I think that ITIL would be more resume candy than LPIC-1 though. It would also be easier to get and less costly.
  • Options
    Yep. I think that ITIL would be more resume candy than LPIC-1 though. It would also be easier to get and less costly.

I'm gonna give ITIL a shot.

• Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    I'm gonna give ITIL a shot.

I noticed you passed this in less than 2 weeks. What did you use to study?
  • Options
    Repo Man wrote: »
    I noticed you passed this in less than 2 weeks. What did you use to study?

I used The Art of Service book and online course... cost me about $80, but I scored a 95/100 so I'd say it was money well spent.

• Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    I used The Art of Service book and online course... cost me about $80, but I scored a 95/100 so I'd say it was money well spent.

Thanks for the info and congrats.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the new cert!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Thanks on the congrats! I am debating doing something easy, or just relaxing for the rest of the year. I've got a little time before I go on vacation back to the U.S. so time may start to drag.