Options

New rule at Prometric

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
The receptionist at my Prometric center told me they had a new rule. No talking to yourself or reading out loud, even when you're alone in the little area. This is because they caught someone with some type of mic or something and he was reading all the questions into it. The dumpers will find any way to get their stuff.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmm good rule, but why do you need to talk to yourself in the first place ?
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    za3bour wrote: »

I've read that reading aloud to ones self can help when trying to comprehend. It was something to do with how we learn. Someone who is primarily an auditory learner can benefit greatly from doing this.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I was reading this aloud. I don't know why, I just did it.icon_lol.gif
    Seriously, if they press on rules on the part of the candidate, it is only fair if they hold on their own part of the bargain so that I don't have to listen to the radio echoing in the hallway, secretary whistling while sipping coffee and people shouting while randomly gathering just in front of the door where I TRY TO FOCUS ON THE DARN TEST!
    Are earplugs allowed then? I mean, unless Prometric test sites can guarantee silence required to completely focus on the test questions.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Push comes to shove, someone will challenge this legally and will win. Some people are auditory learners - I happen to be a visual.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    varelg wrote: »
    Are earplugs allowed then? I mean, unless Prometric test sites can guarantee silence required to completely focus on the test questions.

My Prometric test center has huge airline runway earmuffs in each seat.
    it definitely helps to block out keyboard noise when people are typing out long tests like the CPA exam.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Meh, I can't see them being incredibly strict on this one unless you're blatantly reading well outloud. As someone mentioned, a lot of people like to sort of read out loud to themselves - me being one of those people. I wouldn't call it really reading out loud though, it's more of a half whisper of some words somewhat audibly while other words come out pretty much incoherently, though my brain thinks it heard me say the word. I don't do it very loud if I'm not in an environment such as a testing center, and if I have to then I would be surprised if anyone could even hear it if they were next to me - it's probably more like me simply moving my lip's like I'm speaking but not really saying anything simply to trick my brain into thinking it heard it though I couldn't say for sure since I've never really paid close enough attention while doing that since I'm in the zone at the time.

I can understand the reasoning though, the brain **** industry (if you will) I imagine is quite competitive and with measures being taken to change up exam questions more or use larger question pools that the people who are behind making the **** probably like to make it as easy as possible and as accurate as possible.

I suppose as long as they don't start going TSA on us and trying to implement 3D body scanners and the like to look for wires... :D

If they really want to prevent brain **** and the people who use them, just get the Mafia involved with managing testing centers. If you're clueless co-worker never shows up from work a short while after doing a superb job on his latest exam he studied for a week for, then it's safe to assume the problem "has been taken care of". :D
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565

If I don't talk to myself, how am I supposed to ask myself what the answers are?
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    When I tested for the SSCP you were not allowed to bring in your own pen or pencil. You had to use the one's they provided and leave yours in the car. Apparently somebody got caught with a pen in their pocket that was a video camera. They were also looking for buttons that were out of place, wrong color, style or doesn't match the rest of the buttons on your shirt.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    azjag wrote: »
    When I tested for the SSCP you were not allowed to bring in your own pen or pencil. You had to use the one's they provided and leave yours in the car. Apparently somebody got caught with a pen in their pocket that was a video camera. They were also looking for buttons that were out of place, wrong color, style or doesn't match the rest of the buttons on your shirt.

Spies_Like_Us_-_Cheating_on_test.png

This guy would like a word with you....
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    jmritenour wrote: »
    If I don't talk to myself, how am I supposed to ask myself what the answers are?

I think each one got his method, I usually write keywords and main question on the paper then wipe it when I'm done.

But how can they find out you're talking to yourself (if it wasn't loud)
  • Options
    varelg wrote: »
    I was reading this aloud. I don't know why, I just did it.icon_lol.gif
    Seriously, if they press on rules on the part of the candidate, it is only fair if they hold on their own part of the bargain so that I don't have to listen to the radio echoing in the hallway, secretary whistling while sipping coffee and people shouting while randomly gathering just in front of the door where I TRY TO FOCUS ON THE DARN TEST!

That's a valid point, I'm glad my test center is pretty good, the room is isolated and the test center itself is an office for a learning center so there are not a lot going on at it.

I think so it's your right to ask them to be quite and you can complain to Prometric about it too.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□

They are quite common now. $40 U.S. at this site

4GB USB Digital Pocket 640x480 Video Recorder & Ballpoint Pen w/Built-in Pin-Hole Camera (Black/Silver)
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□

The security folks are understandably paranoid. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    The receptionist at my Prometric center told me they had a new rule. No talking to yourself or reading out loud, even when you're alone in the little area. This is because they caught someone with some type of mic or something and he was reading all the questions into it. The dumpers will find any way to get their stuff.

Disappointing! When the room is clear I'll often read the questions out load to help myself think through the problems. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Disappointing! When the room is clear I'll often read the questions out load to help myself think through the problems. icon_sad.gif

I agree, this sucks. I do the same thing....... damn dumpers!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I try to mouth whatever I'm reading if I feel the need to read stuff aloud; not so much to follow this rule, but because I want to be courteous to the other test takers. They do provide you with those clunky ear plugs, but there is no way in Hades I would ever wear those! (I have never seen anyone else wear them either...) The Prometric center I go to is the main testing center in Manhattan, and I always looking like a broke hobo with my pockets out because they don't want me bringing anything in that they didn't provide; that stuff has to go in the locker.

If one really wanted to be sheisty, I would imagine they could wear one of those eyeglasses that have the video camera as part of the frames....though I imagine they have stuff that's even more sophisticated than that one.