Options

What to wear for a job interview? for a teenager.

MienTommyMienTommy Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm 15 1/2 and thinking about applying for a job with something to do with computers. Maybe BestBuy since I've been reading on this forum that they hire a buncha 16 year olds who don't even have an A+ certification or even opened up a computer. So their expectations aren't even high and most of it they want you to sell stuff.

Right now, I don't have the money to take an A+ certification test but I've taken alot of A+ courses and even configured and built my own computer myself. Right now I am starting to review over A+ stuff and reading and studying over study guides. I'm also in progress of learning C++ which I hope, can finish learning it by the beginning of December and moving onto C# or something else. Maybe Cisco?

Anyways, what would you guys prefer to wear? Would regular everyday clothes be okay since I am however, only 15 and probably going to apply at 16.

BestBuy is the only tech place I can think of applying at right now. After reading about it, it makes me feel like not really wanting to apply, but hey, would be my first job. Does anyone know of another place where I can begin a career or at least get some experience in the tech field?

I live in the Redding, CA area. Hopefully I can find an entry level tech job around here that doesn't have much high expectations. My plan is to start out with BestBuy and later get my A+ Certification and find a job that only requires A+.

Comments

• Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    MienTommy wrote: »
    Would regular everyday clothes be okay since I am however, only 15 and probably going to apply at 16.

I cannot think of a circumstance where street clothes are ever appropriate for an interview.

Wear slacks, a dress shirt, a nice pair of shoes(dress shoes preferably) and a tie. Your lack of experience counts against you, so you need look dang sharp. Also, remember this: 80% of IT is not technical, but customer-service and "soft skills". The remaining 20% is why you're going for the job, but that initial 80% is why you're hired, especially at BestBuy, where customer service is paramount to all else.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    forkvoid wrote: »
    I cannot think of a circumstance where street clothes are ever appropriate for an interview.

Wear slacks, a dress shirt, a nice pair of shoes(dress shoes preferably) and a tie. Your lack of experience counts against you, so you need look dang sharp. Also, remember this: 80% of IT is not technical, but customer-service and "soft skills". The remaining 20% is why you're going for the job, but that initial 80% is why you're hired, especially at BestBuy, where customer service is paramount to all else.

Working at malls is the only place I can think that "street clothes" would be appropriate(hot topics or whatever).
    I've never had a job before. At BestBuy, would there be a "Dress Code" if I were to work there? Would they tell me what to wear? Provide me with Employers clothings? As I am concerned, I really don't have any "Nice clothes/slacks/dress shirts etc..." only everyday clothes. So yeah...
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wear slacks, a dress shirt, a nice pair of shoes(dress shoes preferably) and a tie.
    +1 This -- if you can. You may only get one chance to make a good first impression.

Khakis and a non-blue polo shirt would be a distant 2nd choice. icon_lol.gif

Though you could get lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) and get to fill out an application that the guy at the door/security desk hands you, in which case it probably won't matter what your wearing. But then all you've got is what you put on that application, rather than a positive first impression you might make talking to the manager or head geek, to get a shot at an interview (and a chance to impress someone).

Your last resort is to wear the nicest pants and shirt you have. It is Best Buy, so that wouldn't be the end of the world....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    +1 This -- if you can. You may only get one chance to make a good first impression.

Khakis and a non-blue polo shirt would be a distant 2nd choice. icon_lol.gif

Though you could get lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) and get to fill out an application that the guy at the door/security desk hands you, in which case it probably won't matter what your wearing. But then all you've got is what you put on that application, rather than a positive first impression you might make talking to the manager or head geek, to get a shot at an interview (and a chance to impress someone).

Your last resort is to wear the nicest pants and shirt you have. It is Best Buy, so that wouldn't be the end of the world....

Yeah true. But it would be the first "Tech" job I would have. Which is really more sales than actual tech for BestBuy. But reading from other posts, BestBuy doesn't have that high of expectations since from what i've read "some of the techs there never even opened up a computer before". Anyhow, I really don't know where else to apply for entry-level tech/repair jobs that don't even require a A+ Certification but is a strong plus.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You need to look sharp for any interview. Borrow a shirt and tie from a friend or relative if you have to.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    you need A+ to get into geek squad. otherwise, they probably won't even call you in for an interview. best buy and geek squad are 2 different things. i assume you are talking about geek squad of course. there is nothing "IT" about working at bestbuy being a sales rep.
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    This is what I would wear

....seriously just dress as nice as you want that still makes you feel comfortable and appearing professional.

Nice pants, dress shirt tucked, Tie, cut your hair etc... nice shiny shoes.
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Working at malls is the only place I can think that "street clothes" would be appropriate(hot topics or whatever).

Only when you're working... take an example from an old roommate of mine: he went to a job interview for a warehouse worker, wearing a ratty t-shirt and torn jeans, with the reasoning "I'm ready to work". This is faulty logic, as you're going for a great first impression. Yes, he would have worked in those clothes, but your interview clothes should be your best clothes.
    I've never had a job before. At BestBuy, would there be a "Dress Code" if I were to work there? Would they tell me what to wear? Provide me with Employers clothings?

When I worked BBY GeekSquad many years ago, it was right in the middle of a transition from TechBench to GeekSquad. At the TechBench, they provided you with polos(always black, we looked the best out of the whole store), but we had to provide everything else. When they transitioned to GeekSquad, they provided the full outfit, but it was horrible quality. Most of us bought replacement clothes that looked the exact same, but felt better.
    As I am concerned, I really don't have any "Nice clothes/slacks/dress shirts etc..." only everyday clothes. So yeah...

Investments that have a high rate of return:

1) Education of any sort(degree, certs, training)
    2) Looking your absolute best, as often as you can manage it (aka, go buy some nice clothes for interviewing; the George brand at Walmart is inexpensive but looks and feels good)
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since working at Best Buy you would be representing the company facing the general public you should try to look nice for the interview because they'd think twice about hiring someone coming in off the street in jeans and a t-shirt looking like a slob. I don't think it's mandatory to have an A+ certification to work there because I'm pretty sure I've heard that they can pay for your certification when you work there.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    smart pants, shirt and shoes. at a minium. no one will mark you down for being to smart. but they may for being scruffy. if you are not sure what to wear, you can't go wrong by dressing smart. does not have to be a full on suit, but smart shirt and tie would be fine.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Mien Tommy, clarify if you're applying for Geek Squad or Best Buy. Best buy has no pre-reqs, but Geek Squad is going to be tough to get into without at least A+.
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    If that doesn't work out I'd look into an entry level call center job. Most likely it won't be IT related but call center experience will look good when you start applying to entry level IT jobs.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

+1

Dress up. Exactly as stated above should do just fine. Iron the clothing too!

And if you are 15 years old, it's time to get some grown-up clothing if you don't have any at all (which is sort of hard to believe.

Have a nice hair-cut if you haven't had one in a couple weeks.

Now, depending on where you are located, you may find that you won't get that sort of job until you are 18 because of all the ridiculous restrictions imposed on employers who hire minors (anyone under the age of 18...and even some restrictions still if they are in high school).

Nevertheless, good luck. Fill out the application IN THE STORE the moment you pick it up and have all your data with you so you are able to complete the phone #'s and such. It won't hurt to have a resume prepared, or at least try to create one and ask if there is anyone you might speak with about the position before you leave.

Smile, be polite, and if it doesn't work...try again :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most Best Buy/Geek Squads I've seen don't hire anyone under 18
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Priston wrote: »
    Most Best Buy/Geek Squads I've seen don't hire anyone under 18

Go the interview anyways. If you are thinking of a career this early, getting experience in interviewing will always be beneficial.

By the way, congratulations on thinking of your career at this early of an age. The earlier you start on your career and savings, the more valuable you can be at a younger age. Good luck!
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Mishra wrote: »
    Go the interview anyways. If you are thinking of a career this early, getting experience in interviewing will always be beneficial.

By the way, congratulations on thinking of your career at this early of an age. The earlier you start on your career and savings, the more valuable you can be at a younger age. Good luck!

Absolutely!

And when I mentioned the under 18 thing in my post, it was meant purely as a "don't get discouraged if you hear that comment" just keep trying and ask if you can job shadow or how you might be considered for a position.

We have are crap 'child labor laws' that were intended to do good by kids and today make it difficult for companies who want some young labor around to hire on. There are so many restrictions (hours, times of day permitted to work, types of work, use of ladders, use of power equipment (including a hand drill) that unless an establishment is setup to handle minors, the establishment has more of an incentive to only hire over 18 year olds.

To the OP, never let that STOP you from trying for the job. Let the establishments tell you that they will not hire you each time you go! You may catch a break.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    BestBuy doesn't have that high of expectations since from what i've read

This may be true, however don't forget that the person who interviews and hires people is a real person. He will notice how you dress and look and act. If this person is also responsible, or even influential in your moving up in this company, it's these kinds of details that will get you promoted before your competition. At this stage in your career, think long term and how the decisions you make now will affect you over next few years. It sounds like you are off to the right start, keep learning and you will do fine.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Look at what they wear there and dress equal to or better. Ergo slacks and a polo at least!
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    rsutton wrote: »
    This may be true, however don't forget that the person who interviews and hires people is a real person. He will notice how you dress and look and act. If this person is also responsible, or even influential in your moving up in this company, it's these kinds of details that will get you promoted before your competition. At this stage in your career, think long term and how the decisions you make now will affect you over next few years. It sounds like you are off to the right start, keep learning and you will do fine.

During interviews, such as a CIA for BestBuy, what kind of questions would be asked?
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't take this as advice because I wouldn't want to be anyone's role model, 1st choice should be Nice shirt Tie and slacks.

BUT, I personally have landed 3 jobs paying over 50K wearing blue jeans, granted I explained that since I was interviewing at manufacturing facilites I wanted to be prepared to tour the plant, not to mention I live in Hickville (seriously) and I have very minimal competition where I live.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    as smart as possible is always my rule. In your case i would think trousers, shirt and shoes would suffice. You could just buy a cheapy tie too. Theres always a ton in asda thats cheap (thats the UK store of walmart) so i would imagine you guys have a similar thing with them.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    During interviews, such as a CIA for BestBuy, what kind of questions would be asked?
    are you applying for best buy or geek squad?
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□

Your experiences may vary but when I interviewed the interviewer did not seem to care at all for my experience or A+. The kinds of questions I got related more to how I handle certain customer service situations such as how to deal with irate customers in high pressure environments. If it's anything like my local Best Buy they will focus more on how you handle yourself with the general public.

I guess to give you a better idea: they focused more on my one year experience in retail and practically overlooked my desktop support experience even though that heavily deals with customer service.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm 15 1/2 and thinking about applying for a job with something to do with computers. Maybe BestBuy since I've been reading on this forum that they hire a buncha 16 year olds who don't even have an A+ certification or even opened up a computer. So their expectations aren't even high and most of it they want you to sell stuff.

I used to perform interviews for both Computer Sales and Geek Squad at Best Buy. If you came into an interview with anyone on the management team I worked with or for an interview with me we would send you home if you were in anything less than business casual (shirt with collar and dress slacks - no pollo shirt, no jeans). A suit and tie was not required, but was appriciated. I have sent countless people home who had on shorts, jeans, and/or t-shirts. The fact that this was even considered as a thread brings to mind a quote...

"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage.

Regardless of what the job is you should always show respect to those who are performing the interview by dressing well and being well groomed. It also shows the amount of consideration and value you give to the position you are applying for.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mien Tommy, clarify if you're applying for Geek Squad or Best Buy. Best buy has no pre-reqs, but Geek Squad is going to be tough to get into without at least A+.

Not true. None of the agents I hired in the past had any certifications at all. Some agents went on to get MCPs and MCTS certs, but only one agent I worked with had A+ when he was hired. Technical ability for the Geek Squad is far less important than the ability to communicate with customers. When I stated at the Geek Squad back in the day I was told by my boss "I can train a monkey to get rid of viruses, but I can't teach anyone how to be good with people."

A young kid like this is probably not going to be able to start at the Geek Squad, though. This would be due to legal requirements. However, one very good agent we had while I was working part time last year started when he was in high school at the cash registers. By showing consistent interest and knowledge he got promoted to "Couter Ops" and then to full agent. I would argue this is the best way to go as all of the best agents (both skilled with computers and with humans) start off as counter ops agents.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I first moved to Lexington in 2005 I interviewed at Best Buy. I wore my "interview suit" and looked really sharp. Everyone else in the waiting room had on at best polos and slacks but many were wearing shorts and tshirts or tank tops. I didn't get a job, at least two of those people did. It was pretty frustrating.

I'm not saying that you should dress to be on the low end of the list but be careful of overdressing too I guess. The geek squad wears white shirts, ties, black slacks and black shoes so I would try to mimic that as close as possible. Maybe dressing like one will help them visualize you in that position!

Also get a haircut if you haven't already and make sure to shave (especially if you have wispy facial hair like I did at 15. Trust me that doesn't look as cool as you think).
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com