Options

SWITCH and ROUTE study material for revised CCNP track

docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
I skimmed through the stickies and threads going a few months back, but if I missed some obvious comments which already answer this I apologize. I'm at the point where I'm going to start my NP studies and I have the two official Cisco Press certification guides (not the Foundation Learning Guides though). I'm under the impression that the SWITCH book is currently insufficient for the exam. Any word on how adequate the ROUTE book is? I'm willing to grab the two Foundation guides if need be.

As for other study material, I have GNS3, a couple of low-end 2950s, some old 2600s (one being an XM) and 3600s, as well as access to a couple of 2800 series at work, although I can't make dramatic configuration changes to it. I also have access to the older CBT Nuggets.

Before I start on the ROUTE book, I'm going to read through Network Warrior to solidify my existing knowledge. Everything I've heard about this book has been positive.

I got my CCNA a year ago and it took me a month to study for it after a five-day bootcamp (I already had a few years of minor Cisco experience by then). I'm assuming if I can maintain my study pace, half a year (or probably a bit more realistically) might be do-able in attaining the NP? I currently don't have any social obligations. Hell, I don't even have a TV.
Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/

Comments

• Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I did it in a year with a job change, buying a house, and getting into a relationship, so doing it in 6 months if you have little to no commitments seems to be doable.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    I just received my books. I'm hoping to also finished CCNP after 6 months to 1 year while juggling school, relationship and school. lol

It took me 4-5 months to get my CCNA.