Options

Certifications 2011 (Biggest Demand)

IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
I need some opinions and explanations. What will be the top 5 certifications to have in 2011? I am sure there will be several lists but for an employee point of view. What certifications are the companies looking at for new employees? Thanks
CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IT_FAN wrote: »
    I need some opinions and explanations. What will be the top 5 certifications to have in 2011? I am sure there will be several lists but for an employee point of view. What certifications are the companies looking at for new employees? Thanks

Not in any order:

MCITP:EA - Because I think there are more shops that haven't gone to Windows 2008 yet that will start to do it.

MCITP:EDT7, MCTS:Win7 - See above

VCP/CCA/MCITP:VA/Storage: I think despite what some people say, the "cloud" is here to stay. As more and more private clouds pop up, there will be an increase demand for someone to build/support them.

ITIL/PMP/et al: Cause suits like this kind of stuff.

Security (C|EH, GPEN et all): They cyberwar is a ragging and we need more troops.

I forgot to add *nix certs: RHCE maybe RHCT and LPIC simply because linux usage is growing and more people are using foss software to help cut cost.
  • Options
    tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    CCIE, you are pretty close to it buddy.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Pick any of the high level certifications that match your experience and you can't go wrong.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    Cisco voice is hot right now, Especially in the contact centre area UCCX and UCCE. (in australia)

I'm getting a lot of agencies call me up about these roles. But contact centre just does not float my boat
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IT_FAN wrote: »

What about those virtualization certifications? Anytime you look at the top 5 technologies virtualization always comes to the fore front.

PMP and CISSP come to mind. Nobody can question your technical resume, but what about leadership, project management, and/or security? Something process/management driven.
  • Options
    LTParisLTParis Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Especially in the fed.gov space in DC:

VCP
    Storage Solutions (EMC, NetApp, etc.)
    MCSE/MCITP
    CCNA/CCNP/CCIE
    PMP
    ITIL
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Microsoft, X+ and CCENT/CCNA, most the"hype" certs will be advertised in the big cities, citrix, vmware etc will still appear on the wanted list but in most cases no cert will be required and so on eh, the "cloud" might be here to stay but from where I stand teh reality is the "cloud" just replaces some other words you might know like "san" and "datacenter"..............how lame really? lol The cloud reality for 98% of us is meaningless buzzcrap right now, but the clueless people think it sounds neat as hell. :/
  • Options
    aprillove20aprillove20 Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @IT_FAN talking about certificate it should be related to your field. i mean what your studying. other certificate can be beneficial also, but it depends on the administrator interviewing you.
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    I have done some searching and for Security Assessment type roles I see a lot of:
    CISSP
    CCNA/CCNP
    GIAC (typically just say GIAC, so I suppose that could mean any of their certs)
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I hope it is:

HDI Support Center Analyst
    ITIL V3 Foundations
    CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+
    and CompTIA Security+

that way after December 22nd, I'll be looking sweet
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I hope it is:

HDI Support Center Analyst
    ITIL V3 Foundations
    CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+
    and CompTIA Security+

that way after December 22nd, I'll be looking sweet

icon_lol.gif I immediately looked at your cert list under your name after I saw, "I hope it is:"
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pick any of the high level certifications that match your experience and you can't go wrong.

Wise advice. Stick to what you know so your resume is cohesive.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460

Probably the best advice you can get here. Any high level certification is hard to acquire and typically very respected and will open doors that were shut tight before.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here's my list of what might increase the most in popularity. They aren't necessarily the biggest demand, but when you compare some of them to the supply, they could be.

Healthcare/IT
    Wireless
    Network Storage
    VOIP
    Virtualization
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    wolverene13wolverene13 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□

Exactly. I'm not going to try to get a PERL cert or something being that I've been doing routing and switching for 8 years and only have Cisco certs to my name.
    Currently Studying: CCIP - 642-611 - MPLS
    CCIP Progress: [x] BSCI
    [x] BGP
    [ ] MPLS
    [ ] QoS
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Exactly. I'm not going to try to get a PERL cert or something being that I've been doing routing and switching for 8 years and only have Cisco certs to my name.
    There is a Perl cert?
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I dont think Security certifications have the value they once had(?), but its at least carrying its momentum as far as the need for them (~CISSP, or middle/upper security certs).

I've felt the same regarding Microsoft Certs (Server/Client)... saw a discussion related to this at some other IT forum recently. I'm personally not too happy with how "Engineer" was removed from current MS certs...

I have heard CISCO certs are on the rise, as we all know, networking touches everything in IT, and perhaps its just me, but it seems networks are getting more complicated, and advanced.

I also hear, and actually watching myself, the need for PMPs on the rise.

As previously mentioned, I think the cloud has a lot of hype, though its not all hype, most certainly not how the media and "marketing engineers" make it to be. Similar, but not the same, virtualization. I think they both have their places in our world, but not all of it, theres no one solution for every environment as some salesmen want you to believe.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    Cisco: CCNA/CCNP/CCSP/CCVP/CCIE
    CWSP: CWNA/CWSP
    Microsoft: MCSE/MCITP: EA
    Security: CISSP
    VCP (i know some people that works in virtualization without this certs and they can do their job pretty good)
    PMP for managers but there are managers that doesnt have this but just experienced or a MBA from a good school
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

Wow, I wonder what Lary Wall has to say about that. I remember back in the late 90s Perl people HATED the idea of certification. Too many ways to do the same task and they did not want anyone saying which way was better...
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anything security wise, like many have mentioned the cyber war needs more troops! icon_pirat.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    JoelW wrote: »
    Based on a study conducted by Robert Half Technology for 2011:

TRAINING COMPANY SPAM LINK MODERATED

This is only useful if they match the job role you are going for. For me being a networking guy, the MCITP, MCAD or the PMP have little to no relevance, or at least to the point where if I instead went for Cisco/Juniper/HP/whatever certification instead they would be much more relevant. The fact that it only lists the CCNA (which when you are beyond the bottom rung of the networking industry, it doesn't hold anything as much weight as the higher level ones) is a bit of a misnomer.

The same goes for Linux admins I guess too, having an RHCE or even the RHCA (architect, not the RHCSA) is going to bring more relevance and notoriety than them getting a Checkpoint cert.

I think these lists fit more to either the jack of all trade kind of IT guys, or to people who are struggling at the bottom end and what something to help guide their career.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    stuh84 wrote: »
    I think these lists fit more to either the jack of all trade kind of IT guys, or to people who are struggling at the bottom end and what something to help guide their career.

I completely agree.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□

Lets not lose our heads. Specialization frees you from the homogeneous melting pot, and there ain't nutin' wrong with that!
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□

Actually, if you got into do web filtering or using the integrated IOS IPS stuff, learning the regular expressions in PERL could be very useful. icon_wink.gif
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    buchatechbuchatech Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□

I agree with this as well. Get high level certifications that compliment your experience and you can’t go wrong.