Options

Laptop Hunt: The Journey Continues

SabaloSabalo Member Posts: 100
A little while ago, I posted my requirements for a new laptop. I've since been shopping around and knocking out certs like Mike Tyson knocked out opponents in his prime. I no longer -need- the 10,000GB of RAM and Schrodinger brand SSDs, and I have realized that with the added (nominal) weight of a new e-reader, I'll want to scale back.

Plus, I've been using external peripherals for my KV&M so the screen size only matters on the road.

Alas, I am still going to be spending a fair bit of cash.

I'm now looking for:

* 12"-14" screen, 1920x1080.
* Quad Core Proc with hardware virtualization
* 8GB of RAM (more or less non-negotiable)
* SSD, either after-market (figure into price) or built-in
* eSata port (I can deal with an express card expansion)
* DVD Burner. Don't need Blu-Ray but I'll take it.
---- If this is an ultra-thin, I will do without and smile while doing without. I don't mind owning an external writer for the rare occasion I need to write.
* Must be somewhat sexy. What can I say? icon_wink.gif
* OS does not matter. If I don't like the packaged one, baby gets wiped.

I would prefer to have:
* HDMI
* Shipping direct to APO
* Backlit keyboard
* Built in coffee-maker

I don't need a lot of "value added" software; I own most of what I need.

I've been looking at the Sony Signature Z series and I am tempted to buy it as soon as my CCC processes my last payments. I'm not asking you to do my research for me (heh) but if I am missing something obvious, clue me in? If you know about the ultimate in sexy hardware that meets my specs, I'd love to know about it.
I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    is there a price range?

this is what ive been looking at it has a slightly larger screen but it has some nice power and a touch screen

iBUYPOWER Computer :: Battalion Touch CZ-11 Gaming Laptop

im not sure about the shipping ect
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    is there a price range?

I'm trying to stay under $3000. icon_wink.gif
    I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.
  • Options
    Okay, I got one. icon_wink.gif

EON15 From Origin. 840QM processor, 8GB DDR3 1333, 100GB Vertex 2, and a 460M 1.5 GB Video card. Upgraded the network card to dual band and custom painted it. icon_biggrin.gif

Torchwood themed paint job? Oh yes.

• Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    HP EliteBook 8540w - i7 CPU, 8Gig RAM, Nvidia 1Gig memory

HP EliteBook 8540w Mobile Workstation overview - HP Small & Medium Business products

Currently rolling out 20 of these and they are very very fast

Would opt for an SSD with this to make it even faster, suprised it doesnt come as standard with everything else being top spec
  • Options
    Lee H wrote: »
    HP EliteBook 8540w - i7 CPU, 8Gig RAM, Nvidia 1Gig memory

HP EliteBook 8540w Mobile Workstation overview - HP Small & Medium Business products

Currently rolling out 20 of these and they are very very fast

Would opt for an SSD with this to make it even faster, suprised it doesnt come as standard with everything else being top spec

Nice one! I am very happy with what I decided on though. They even accepted my own licensed OS software and discounted the price accordingly!

• Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    Ive never bought anything from this place, nor am I endorsing them, however they seem to have pretty reasonable prices for laptops and pcs etc.

CyberPower Inc. - UNLEASH THE POWER - Create the Custom Gaming PC and Laptop Computer of your dreams

What you can get when you put together a system from there, at least form the website standpoint, seems to be fairly robust, ive just never pulled the trigger on buying something from there. Maybe someone else on the boards has some experience with them. Anyway just throwing out a name that ive kind of kept my eye on now for a year or so.
  • Options
    Ive never bought anything from this place, nor am I endorsing them, however they seem to have pretty reasonable prices for laptops and pcs etc.

CyberPower Inc. - UNLEASH THE POWER - Create the Custom Gaming PC and Laptop Computer of your dreams

What you can get when you put together a system from there, at least form the website standpoint, seems to be fairly robust, ive just never pulled the trigger on buying something from there. Maybe someone else on the boards has some experience with them. Anyway just throwing out a name that ive kind of kept my eye on now for a year or so.

Thanks! I'll consider it for the next machine... but so far, Origin has been great.