Options

Expand C: drive partition

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have several physical servers that won't / can't be moved to virtual for four months or so. They are of course running out of C: drive space. I have used paid for "Third Part utilites" in the past, feel free to suggest them as I can't remember which I used, but basically I wanted to know if there was a good freeware utility or practice out there to help me move space from other Partitions on the same disk array over to the C: drive.

Edit: These will be 2003 and server 2000 OS

I am aware of tricks like moving page file, deleting KB uninstallers etc.

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can't you just set up a shared drive on C pointed at somewhere else?
    Ubuntu or most linux disks will let you re-partition anyting really assuming you can take the array down.
  • Options
    Not sure I follow, why would you create a shared drive pointed at C: ? Maybe I am retarded. I am not that familiar with linux and using it to repartition, I can't destroy the data.
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    I believe he is talking about mounting another partition in a folder on C: to "increase" the space on that drive. You have to use an empty partition to do that.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can use diskpart in the CLI to extend a partition or span partitions using the LDM gui.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I recommend giving extpart a shot. It is a program written by Dell, and is only officially supported on Dell servers. I have used it on HPs and white boxes with no problem, however.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Mishra wrote: »
    You can use diskpart in the CLI to extend a partition or span partitions using the LDM gui.

Not system partitions in 2000 or 2003. You will need to use something like Partion Magic to expand the partition, provided you have free space on the disk.

Careful about moving the pagefile as it has to be on the system partition in order to create crash **** files for analysis. Take a look at the profile directories or search for recently created files, like log files, that can slowly fill up the C: drive.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    shon541 wrote: »
    I believe he is talking about mounting another partition in a folder on C: to "increase" the space on that drive. You have to use an empty partition to do that.
    That and NTFS junctions are the path to madness when doing system administration. Don't do it.
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Not system partitions in 2000 or 2003. You will need to use something like Partion Magic to expand the partition, provided you have free space on the disk.

Careful about moving the pagefile as it has to be on the system partition in order to create crash **** files for analysis. Take a look at the profile directories or search for recently created files, like log files, that can slowly fill up the C: drive.

Your exactly right about not being able to extend "System Partitions" the root problem here is alot of these partitions were built as 10GB partitions, this was likely sufficent pre SP2 and the 350+ patches that have been released.

FYI to all SYS admins, patches eat up space and never seem to stop doing so.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oops sorry.

I use gparted if it's a system volume.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!