Options

New to Linux

cilenamocilenamo Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi. First I want to say thank you to everyone who posts actively on this site. It is extremely helpful to anyone looking to get certified.

I am new to Linux and my plan is to get my Linux+ cert before the end of the year to make it a lifetime cert. I am able to commit 4-5 hours of study time a day every day of the week, and possible more on the weekends. I am looking for a book to help me pass both the LX0-101 & LX0-102. I read that the 101 test is a bit more challenging than the 102 test. I picked up from a friend, the Novell's Guide to CompTIA's Linux+ guide. Its designed as a 5 day course. Any feedback on that? Im looking to get this done by the end of Nov, first week of Dec so that I can retake if I dont pass.

Any help, ideas, suggestions would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I apologize for such a long post.

Comments

• Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    cilenamo wrote: »
    1. I am new to Linux and my plan is to get my Linux+ cert before the end of the year to make it a lifetime cert.
    2. Im looking to get this done by the end of Nov, first week of Dec so that I can retake if I dont pass.

Any help, ideas, suggestions would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I apologize for such a long post.
    1. I am sorry my friend but that goal may be too ambitious and you are also mistaken about L+ being a lifetime cert. As it is now, L+ is based on LPIC-1 which requires renewal after 5 years.
    2. 1 month even with non-stop cramming involved won't get you through. But taking the course would definitely put you on a fast track, just not THAT fast.
  • Options
    cilenamocilenamo Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you varelg...I wasnt aware that after the change, it wasnt a lifetime cert anymore, which was my rush in obtaining the cert. Well then, I believe I will just take my time with studying and get the cert when I feel I am ready. I am in the process of wiping out a laptop that I dont use and installing SLES 9 VMWare on it to learn and study on. I like Linux from using it way back in 2000 but a lot has changed since then. Thank you for your response, though. I really appreciate it :)
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    varelg's advice is right on the money. Krauser would probably say the same thing.

I have used linux here and there and wanted to fast track it to the L+ before the EOL on Oct 18th but the more I looked at the objectives, the further away I felt from completion. It's definitely worth it to slow it down and when you're truly comfortable with it (including the weird switches with alot of commands) itll be time to take it.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This change was announced just a week or so after I got my Linux+ 2009 beta score back. It kind of annoys me. Meh. I guess there are worse things than a free cert...
  • Options
    krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    varelg's advice is right no the money. Krauser would probably say the same thing.

Thanks for the mention.