Options

resume critique

reppgoareppgoa Member Posts: 151
Hey guys. I would love a no BS review of my resume. I can take the heat =). I am coming out of the army and transitioning to civilian life. Let me know how this looks for an entry level type position or if you think I am shooting too low or high. I have an offer to work for UMD college park (the real one) as a desktop support tech and a small IT company doing the same. UMD gives 100% free tuition, but they don't have a program I am interested in, so I could get 50% off of UMUC tuition, where I am currently enrolled. The small IT company (TerpSys) offers tuition reimbursement plus pays for all certs. Let me know what you guys think.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow!! icon_cheers.gif

Visually stunning and attention grabbing....

Maybe more desk side support stuff and less name dropping -- I don't mention Ronald Reagan or Caspar Weinberger in my resume. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    haha, me either =P. I did Reagen's funeral. I see your point though. Thank you for the compliment =)
  • Options
    hmm, it seems that upon opening it from the forums, it has not properly formatted correctly under .doc... Its supposed to all be on one page. Oh well, you get the gist =)
  • Options
    cmon guys, hit me with some feedback =)
  • Options
    katierosekatierose Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well it's obvious you chose a resume template and inserted your info into it. This one kind of bugs me with the ugly fonts and where things are placed, but your info looks just fine. Solid work history and a great GPA, I'd say you're golden.
  • Options
    I did start from a template, but I modified it pretty heavily. I think the fonts are what make it stick out personally =)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    reppgoa wrote: »
    I did start from a template, but I modified it pretty heavily. I think the fonts are what make it stick out personally =)

I actually like how sticks out, but maybe that is just me. I like it! :D
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    katierose wrote: »
    Well it's obvious you chose a resume template and inserted your info into it. This one kind of bugs me with the ugly fonts and where things are placed, but your info looks just fine. Solid work history and a great GPA, I'd say you're golden.

I agree with this. Not a big fan of the layout and changing fonts. I think you could do a better job on your bullet points also. For example, "Accurately documented software issue and remediation." What software? How did you fix the issue? How did that impact the business/mission? You should be selling yourself on your resume and that doesn't really sell your skills IMO.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't mind the whole template thing much, because it does look pretty decent. There are a few things I noticed that I would like point out.

I noticed you put "Certified Desktop Support Technician" but I do not see any certifications listed on your resume. If you do hold any, I would put that at the very beginning of the resume followed by your education. I would ditch the "Technology Summary" part as it almost feels like a filler. The experience portion looks fine. I don't think there is much else to change there except for what I pointed out. Good luck in your job search!