Options

Moving into the Cisco world

WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
Hey all,

So I finally finished my CCNA and I am going for my CCNP next. I have a small lab at home and it should be enough for my CCNP track.

Thing is, I looked on job sites and is it just me or does it seem like employers make it impossible to jump into a Cisco job? I might have to go back to Windows for a while before I get a lucky break but I rather "force" my dream job to come true versus doing odd-jobs and waiting for an employer to give me the chance.

For all those pure Cisco guys out there -- how did you get started in Cisco? I am sure you didn't jump straight into it (like I didnt jump straight into Admin) but where to start?

Thanks!
In Progress: CCNP ROUTE

Comments

• Options
    jimmy1829jimmy1829 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great question!

I want to know,too.
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Hey all,

So I finally finished my CCNA and I am going for my CCNP next. I have a small lab at home and it should be enough for my CCNP track.

Thing is, I looked on job sites and is it just me or does it seem like employers make it impossible to jump into a Cisco job? I might have to go back to Windows for a while before I get a lucky break but I rather "force" my dream job to come true versus doing odd-jobs and waiting for an employer to give me the chance.

For all those pure Cisco guys out there -- how did you get started in Cisco? I am sure you didn't jump straight into it (like I didnt jump straight into Admin) but where to start?

Thanks!

That's a good question. Everyone has different circumstances that allows them to get into the world of Cisco.

Sometimes it's taking jobs that are completely unrelated and slowly migrating your way into it. Or doing internships working under a Sr. Engineer.

I think in today's climate, you just have to get creative in how you can get your foot in the door....
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you already have systems experience, look for a "jack of all trades" type position which will get you some network experience.
  • Options
    Haha I figured as much. I'd thought I'd ask in case there was something I wasnt aware of.

Thanks!
  • Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    Most people get experince someway or another. Its normally very hard to get a networking/cisco role with only certs to back you up.

As for myself, I was working desktop support, But looking after the cisco VOIP servers on the side. My next job was a cisco voip engineer. Then i moved internally into network engineer role :D

Now i just work as a network contractor :)
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    It will always be a chicken or the egg issue. No matter what generation we're talking about. When we all retire, (eventually) newer guys will have the same issue.

Eventually they will gain experience and younger folks will ask them how do you get a job working with Cisco....

Over and over and over.....

The one key to all this is persistence or 100% complete dumb luck.

Especially in today's environment, no company is going to just go out on a limb and hire you because they are feeling generous.

So stay hungry and get creative.....
  • Options
    Similiar to how I got into Windows Admin -- I just happened to be in the right place at the right time, with the right employer.

I wouldn't take NO for an answer and It took me little over a year to find a administration job from my desktop job. Looks like Cisco will be the same thing.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I started off as a PC tech then I bugged the hell out of the engineers and asked to come in and stay late (no pay) when they where doing upgrades, then it paid off. Just show your intrested, you cannot make a omelet without breaking an eggicon_thumright.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    ArtanixArtanix Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd say its down to timing and luck to be honest.

I started my job on a switchboard for a service provider, moved internally to support where i simply chased customers to see if their issues had been resolved. Moved to 1st line support and now i'm starting a 2nd line Job next month, working with a global cisco/juniper network.

I don't even have my CCNA yet, but I've made significant work towards it. In my most recent interview, the 2 biggest points were the fact that I've paid, studied and made a test lab all out of my own time/money, companies/interviewers love that.

Second, was the fact that I had a plan, I know i'm going to get my CCNA, then CCNA security, CCNP, etc.

I went a bit off topic there, but just go on local job search sites, and type Cisco, or CCNA, or if you want more hits "network", and see whats about, bigger companies will always have a requirement for people with cisco/networking certs, they usually get them internally because its alot cheaper, and probably 5-10k a year less to employ too.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    I started off as a PC tech then I bugged the hell out of the engineers and asked to come in and stay late (no pay) when they where doing upgrades, then it paid off. Just show your intrested, you cannot make a omelet without breaking an eggicon_thumright.gif

Same here. First you need to get yourself into the environment in some entry level way shape or form, then find the people who do what you wana do, and show your passion! Probably will pay off in the long run. It does mean you will do more work for less pay, but I'm pretty sure that evens out in the long run =p.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't work yet but have you tried looking at cisco's partners in your city and checked out their websites for employment? I found two companies that I think I could get a job and they're both cisco partners. One being cisco and microsoft. I'm getting the CCNA before I apply for a job at one of them because the other one wants the CCNA: Voice. Have you also checked out IT jobs for your city?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    ^
    Yep unfortuantly like most other "high" level jobs they don't want to train anyone and expcet you to know it all from the gates.

I'm networking in my circle of IT professionals to see if I can tag-team with someone who knows Cisco (found a few!)as I was never one to "wait and get lucky". I try to make my own luck! :)