Options

what are these for?

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
This metal thing came out of a new server case I just got from plinkusa.net. This is my first server case, and it's a bit different from what I'm accustomed to seeing. In this picture is a reenforcement bar. It came with a bonus hard drive bracket to mount 2 hard drives on (not shown in this picture). I'm not sure what those 4 metal things protruding from it are. What are these things?
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Look like non-standard rack brackets to me. I screwed in 2 similar looking brackets for a PDU to a HP rack.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    They look like covers for card slots.
  • Options
    I'm certain they're not covers for card slots, although I can see how they kind of look like them. Somehow I think they are for something inside of the case, but I'm still at a loss as for what. I've emailed the company that sold it to me. Directions would have been nice icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is screwed in across the case from left to right, the arms you see can be adjusted with the screws in track to push the arms down to apply pressure to any cards you may have installed in the server so they don't come loose.

If I'm building a whitebox, that usually doesn't make it back into the server when I'm finishing building it.
  • Options
    It is screwed in across the case from left to right, the arms you see can be adjusted with the screws in track to push the arms down to apply pressure to any cards you may have installed in the server so they don't come loose.

If I'm building a whitebox, that usually doesn't make it back into the server when I'm finishing building it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I can be obsessive when it comes to figuring things out like this, and I'd already spent an hour and a half googling. Your answer makes perfect sense. There is a plastic tab on the end of each of these card stabilizers that interlocks perfectly with a PCI card. I won't be using them either, but I suppose it's further testament to the very solid build quality of this case (very heavy, solid steel).
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It would be nice if these whitebox cases included an instruction manual. Unfortunately you usually have to figure these things out on your own. icon_sad.gif
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV