Options

3D Gaming

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Just wondering what I would need to be able to play games in 3D, I have a 42" Plasma at home but someone told me that I need a LED TV

I plan to build a new PC in the new year and hope to put something like this in it

Zotac Geforce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with FREE Prince of Persia Game - Aria Technology

Also my native resolution is only 1024 x 768 so I doubt this is going to work?

I have 2 x 23" LCD monitors 16:9 wide, will these work with 3D

Comments

• Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it depends on the game itself but I'm not sure but playing using LED with 3D is much better than using a Plasma or LCD. Gotta say I'm not 100% sure about this.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is no specific display type a 3D television must be but more on how precise it is able to display the colors. Currently the only TVs I have seen that are 3D capable are LEDs but I really have not dug into this. Remember a 3D TV does nothing more really than shift the colors to allow objects to appear 3D. If a TV is not precise enough it will not be able to provide correct patterns and will instead create blurry somewhat 3D blobs.

Your setup will not work from what I am seeing, sorry. Though I am assuming your LCDs are standard LCDs and not special market form.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here are the requirements for NVIDIA's 3D Vision and list of compatible displays:
    3D Vision Requirements
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Your existing TV won't do it. You need one that supports 3D that comes with the glasses and a way to attach them. Your existing PC LCDs should work but you'll need to buy the glasses kit for your PC.

TL;DR No. Buy a new TV and/or glasses for your PC.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    There is no specific display type a 3D television must be but more on how precise it is able to display the colors. Currently the only TVs I have seen that are 3D capable are LEDs but I really have not dug into this. Remember a 3D TV does nothing more really than shift the colors to allow objects to appear 3D. If a TV is not precise enough it will not be able to provide correct patterns and will instead create blurry somewhat 3D blobs.
    The current home 3D TV technology doesn't work like that. They're mostly based on the shutter glasses idea. They have a higher refresh rate than an existing TV and they synchronise to the shutter glasses you wear so each eye only sees the correct image.

You can get ones which don't require glasses by having a lenticular lens built into the screen but there are drawbacks to that like a fuzzier picture and issues with moving your head.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the info I have worked older Kodak and Sun based systems.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology