Options

Wireless card in desktops (internal)

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Getting a reconditioned machine end of the week, mainly to use for storage, some studying, etc. The computer comes with a b/g/n card internally. Anyone see or experience a performance issue? Its no big deal to remove it and replace with external or usb device. Just curious as I haven't seen an internal one in a desktop before.

Comments

• Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a USB wireless dongle in my PC + a standard Ethernet port.

Wireless does not work will with video streaming, so I kept streaming "to a virtual PC" using the Ethernet port and everything else thru wireless.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Getting a reconditioned machine end of the week, mainly to use for storage, some studying, etc. The computer comes with a b/g/n card internally. Anyone see or experience a performance issue? Its no big deal to remove it and replace with external or usb device. Just curious as I haven't seen an internal one in a desktop before.
    I've used an Atheros card before and its fine. The cards are the same as what you get inside a laptop except they're PCI/PCIe form factor instead of MiniPCI/PCIe. You need to get one with the antenna on a short lead though. If the antenna is sticking out of the back of the card then you may have reception issues due to the metal case interfering with it.
  • Options
    wd40 wrote: »
    so I kept streaming "to a virtual PC" using the Ethernet port and everything else thru wireless.
    I have no idea what you're trying to say here...
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    I have no idea what you're trying to say here...

Internet connection for the PC goes though the wireless card(dongle)

Internet connection to Virtual Machines goes through the Ethernet Port.

wait, icon_lol.gif

you can select which device you want to use in virtual machines, but it appears that all the traffic from the PC goes through the Ethernet port any way.

The wireless dongle is just doing nothing other than appearing to be active in the "notification area" icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Internet connection for the PC goes though the wireless card(dongle)

Internet connection to Virtual Machines goes through the Ethernet Port.

wait, icon_lol.gif

you can select which device you want to use in virtual machines, but it appears that all the traffic from the PC goes through the Ethernet port any way.

The wireless dongle is just doing nothing other than appearing to be active in the "notification area" icon_lol.gif
    If you've got ethernet anyway then why are you using wireless??
  • Options
    If you've got ethernet anyway then why are you using wireless??

I got the dongle for free with the router so I used it, so that I can get rid of the cable.
    Then I started streaming some files and wireless could not handle it, so I "temporally icon_lol.gif" re-connected the Ethernet cable.

I am a bit lazy with my home PC, so both remained .. I will disconnect the wireless when I'm free some time next year icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    I got the dongle for free with the router so I used it, so that I can get rid of the cable.
    Then I started streaming some files and wireless could not handle it, so I "temporally icon_lol.gif" re-connected the Ethernet cable.

I am a bit lazy with my home PC, so both remained .. I will disconnect the wireless when I'm free some time next year icon_lol.gif
    Ahh. Unless you've done some changes to the network configuration, it will normally route everything through the Ethernet interface anyway as you've discovered.

You should be able to stream video over wireless though assuming decent signal. I do it all the time here and its fine. What bitrate are these files?
  • Options
    Ahh. Unless you've done some changes to the network configuration, it will normally route everything through the Ethernet interface anyway as you've discovered.

You should be able to stream video over wireless though assuming decent signal. I do it all the time here and its fine. What bitrate are these files?
    not sure about the bitrate, I am streaming from my dish receiver to an app in a virtual xp machine.

it is a cheap compact wireless router + a cheap wireless dongle, you get what you pay for :D .