Options

Lenovo RMA Process

SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone here work directly with Lenovos at their place of business? If so, how is the RMA process? We're looking at possibly switching to Lenovos, but I want to first make sure that their RMA process isn't a nightmare.

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Synthros wrote: »
    Does anyone here work directly with Lenovos at their place of business? If so, how is the RMA process? We're looking at possibly switching to Lenovos, but I want to first make sure that their RMA process isn't a nightmare.

I work in a Lenovo environment. 85% laptops and 15% desktops.

What exactly are your concerns?

I work as a tier 2 tech and deal with Lenovo on a daily basis. We have the 3 year on site warranty and they do a really good job of fulfilling the SLA on replacement parts. As far as returning the items, I rarely have to do that so I wouldn't know, but their customer service is fairly solid, I believe it's bases out of Atlanta GA.

I will say this nothing is more sturdy than a Lenovo, they are truly business machines, infact all I own at home is Lenovo's. My personal laptop is a W500
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□

I don't deal with Lenovos but could you tell me what you are switching from? I'm just curious to know who has a nightmare RMA process
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    xmalachi wrote: »
    I don't deal with Lenovos but could you tell me what you are switching from? I'm just curious to know who has a nightmare RMA process
    Sony in Europe is awful.
  • Options
    SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    xmalachi wrote: »

Currently we have a hybrid environment with HP laptops and desktops, and Sony laptops. As far as the RMA process goes, it's night and day. HP is great -- all incidents can be filed on their website, and they're always quick about getting requests taken care of. Sony has been nothing but problems, though. We call and spend long spans of time on the phone with them, they argue about about things that are actually covered under warranty, and on claims that they *do* accept, it takes forever to receive the replacement part (or get the Sony tech out here, depending on the problem).
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Amusing that Synthros has exactly the same issues with Sony :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We have Dells and HPs.. I'm far more impressed with Dell than I am with HP. It may have been an isolated incident because I've only had to call HP one time. (I've only been here for 3 months) But the one time I did have to call them I was on hold for about an hour and then they said tech support would call me back that day. They didn't call until the next day when I was on hold waiting for another tech to try and "troubleshoot" my case.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Currently we have a hybrid environment with HP laptops and desktops, and Sony laptops. As far as the RMA process goes, it's night and day. HP is great -- all incidents can be filed on their website, and they're always quick about getting requests taken care of. Sony has been nothing but problems, though. We call and spend long spans of time on the phone with them, they argue about about things that are actually covered under warranty, and on claims that they *do* accept, it takes forever to receive the replacement part (or get the Sony tech out here, depending on the problem).

Here in the states HP is night and day depending on which method you use to place the calls. We run HP proliant servers for a lot of our print and file servers and if you place a call on line it's solid if you make the dreaded call, expect to spend 45 mins on the phone.

Dell is awful
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I previously worked in desktop support at a large financial institution with mostly ThinkPads and ThinkCentres and was dealing with IBM/Lenovo on a daily basis, and the RMA process was always great. It's really no hassle and doesn't take very long.

I also use ThinkPads for personal use and never had a problem with an RMA. I buy the depot warranty since it is very fast, but if you ask, you can get them to just ship you the part if you can install it (good for a flaky keyboard, bad RAM, etc.).

The first time I used the depot support for a personal laptop, I shipped my laptop on Wednesday and it was fixed and returned to me on Thursday. The second time I used it, they upgraded the incident to on-site support for free. Other than that they have always just shipped parts to me which I prefer for minor issues.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    SabaloSabalo Member Posts: 100
    I was actually certified as a Lenovo tech, once upon a time. Most of their on-site support is sourced to local techs, I suspect, so your response time ought to be good.

HP is easy to deal with if you learn the system... but it does take -dealing- with them.
    I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Were a 100% IBM/Lenovo shop and I work in desktop support as well. Their phone reps are always great, resolving the call quick if you've done the proper troubleshooting beforehand. Parts and packages are always shipped next day UPS. no complaints here.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V