Options

Tablet PC for Quadriplegic

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
One of my very close friends was in a bad car accident about 7 years ago or so. She has only very limited mobility in her arms. Basically she can raise her arms and bend her elbows. She has no movement in her hands to articulate her fingers. She is completely paralyzed from the shoulders down.

It’s time for her to get a new laptop. She is an urban planner, so this is no a simple email/surf type thing that an iPad might be OK for. Do you guys have any suggestions? She’s looked at a few items but cannot have anything that does not have a good degree of sensitivity on the touch screen. The ability to use a stylus would be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Hmm. Tablet PCs are generally quite fiddly to use even if you have full mobility in your arms. Anything that uses complicated multitouch gestures is going to be infuriating to use as well so that will make the iPad a bad choice.

Are you sure that a regular laptop wouldn't be easier? I've no idea. Just asking.

You can get third party styluses for resistive and capacitive touchscreens now. It won't have a special slot in the device to store it but I wouldn't worry about a stylus being included as standard.
  • Options
    scalpelrushscalpelrush Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

you could try your question in this forum, TabletPCBuzz - The Best Place to Learn about Tablet PCs

only tablet pc people there, I have one since 2004, now running windows 7 and is a great machine to take notes and read something on the web, who wants an IPAD, if you can use a full O.S, but tablets are not for everybody.

I hope you can get an answer for your friend there.

Leo.
    Courses Required to Graduate WGU with BS - IT: NDM: BVC1.
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, CLC1, BBC1, BAC1 | GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 | ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, SSC1, IWC1, INC1 | INT1, IWT1, LET1, TWA1, CPW3
    Courses Transferred: AXV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIV1.

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tiersten wrote: »
    Hmm. Tablet PCs are generally quite fiddly to use even if you have full mobility in your arms. Anything that uses complicated multitouch gestures is going to be infuriating to use as well so that will make the iPad a bad choice.

Are you sure that a regular laptop wouldn't be easier? I've no idea. Just asking.

You can get third party styluses for resistive and capacitive touchscreens now. It won't have a special slot in the device to store it but I wouldn't worry about a stylus being included as standard.

Certain. She has used both in the past. Her current system from bout 2005 is tablet.

She's tried a few 3rd party styluses (styli?) but on the systems she has looked at recently they were quite poor.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Certain. She has used both in the past. Her current system from bout 2005 is tablet.
    Ah okay. I was just wondering. The trend seems to be that the manufacturers are moving away from the whole Tablet PC idea anyway which isn't good for your friend.

Panasonic do a range of touchscreen PC tablets but they appear to be Atom based. I've no idea if you can get one of those easily for her to try though. H1 Field is probably the most useful one as its got a bigger screen than the U1 models. It doesn't have a keyboard at all unlike the U1s though...
    She's tried a few 3rd party styluses (styli?) but on the systems she has looked at recently they were quite poor.
    Yeah. I've no idea either!