Options

Linux / Unix

Im interviewing for a position next week, and I have a suspicion, that a good portion of the resonsiblities, are going to be based on Linux / Unix. I have a lot of system and network experience, and while I do have some Linux experience, im not what I would consider, an expert.

I can probably tighten up basic stuff pretty well between now and then, but what would be the best way to approach the interview if this position happens to have a heavy dose of Linux requirements?

I have no doubt, that I could learn it, in a fairly short amount of time, but just trying to dot my I's and cross my T's so to speak prior to the interview.

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Find some information on theLinux+ and study the objectives you are least familiar with...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Your best bet is to just let them know what your knowledge level is. I wouldn't cram some crap just to get past the interview then be lost once you actually start the job. If you don't know something just say so.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In my experience if it is a Linux based role they may ask you stuff like:-

1) Basic Bash/shell scripting commands (grep/tail/head etc etc)
    2) LVM
    3) SAMBA
    4) run levels
    5) ps command
    6) lsof command
    7) CHMOD and passwd file

The above is very standard question subjects in these sorts of things.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Your best bet is to just let them know what your knowledge level is. I wouldn't cram some crap just to get past the interview then be lost once you actually start the job. If you don't know something just say so.

+1

I love this post, simple and accurate.
  • Options
    iSpaZZZiSpaZZZ Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    +1

I love this post, simple and accurate.

Don't for get to mention you are keen, and quick to learn icon_wink.gif
    [40%] CCNA
    [10%] MCSA / MCITP:SA < WHICH one?
    [2%] RHCE < what I WANT to do!
  • Options
    anobomskianobomski Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As the other guys have said you do not want to cram up in a week just to impress. Letting them know your position and enthusiasm for learning new stuff qucikly will go a long way.
    However there is no harm in preparing for it. i would take a look at the new RHCSA exam objectives here:

https://www.redhat.com/certification/rhcsa/objectives/