Options

Is the A+ Essentials course really necessary?

MienTommyMienTommy Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is it really necessary to take the Essentials(220-701) course? I've taken the IT course(220-702) and now I'm looking over the 220-701, you learn almost the basic exact same things... It bores me trying to read books about 220-701 because I already know most of what i'm reading and it feels like a waste of time.

Comments

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I never understood why people wanted to break them apart, I just treated it like one very long course, took both tests back to back
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MienTommy wrote: »
    Is it really necessary to take the Essentials(220-701) course? I've taken the IT course(220-702) and now I'm looking over the 220-701, you learn almost the basic exact same things... It bores me trying to read books about 220-701 because I already know most of what i'm reading and it feels like a waste of time.

As long as you're comfortable with every objective, you should be fine with or without it; in the end the decision is yours. This is the rule of thumb with CompTIA exams in my op.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Did the opposite actually. I studied fully for the 701 and next to nothing for the 702. Still passed both exams just fine. If you pass the 702 solidly you can just sit the 701 and knock it out of the park. Good luck on the 701. :)
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Did the opposite actually. I studied fully for the 701 and next to nothing for the 702. Still passed both exams just fine. If you pass the 702 solidly you can just sit the 701 and knock it out of the park. Good luck on the 701. :)

I certainly found the 702 to be the more difficult of the two
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is only important if you want the piece of paper.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you want to be consided A+ certified you need to take and pass both the 701 and the 702 exams.

If your just talking about a training course, I see no need for it.

If I was required to become certified at tying my own shoes, I would have no need to take any training courses or study material. All I would need is a test date.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA