Options

Has restoring AD in R2 changed?

unnamedplayerunnamedplayer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I am studying for the 640 and am close to finishing my studies. Working on Active Directory backups and maintenance now and I need some help.

I am labbing the restoration procedures for system state to recover Active Directory objects. My DC is running 2008 R2. I've done authoritative restores before on plain old 2008 before fine. In that case I would go into DSRM mode and restore using wbadmin. Then I could use ntdsutil to perform an authoritative restore using "restore database" or "restore object" if I wanted a specific object.

Did this procedure change in R2? After I perform the system state recovery in DSRM, I am prompted to reboot. This is true no matter if I restore using wbadmin or the GUI.

I assumed that I could just ignore the prompt and open ntdsutil and perform the authoritative restore steps from there, but whenever I try to open a command prompt I receive an error. Which may be part of another issue, because after the system state restore finishes, dialog boxes are missing text and I can't make out what they say.

So, long story short, did authoritative restores change from R1 to R2? And I am aware of the AD recycle bin now, but I would like to be prepared in case I am not running a 2008 R2 forest functional level.

Any help would be great. Thanks guys!

Comments