Options

MC3810-v for CCNA lab?

kyojikyoji Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am just starting to study for my CCENT and am drooling over all the gear people have on this site!

Initially my plan was to study for CCNA using GNS3 and some switches as my main lab, but am now thinking having physical routers to practice serial setup would be beneficial.

Unfortunately, grabbing two 2600s with WIC-1t is out of my budget. So the only thing in my price range are the MC3810-v's. I have read that these are aimed at voice implementation, but am wondering if they would work for learning serial configuration and routing protocols on? Or is there another router that would be better for the job at around the same price ($20 ea)?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The problem with the MC3810s is that they were nice little voice routers -- and some idiots decided to buy them up and pull all the components out and then sell overpriced empty chassis -- then gouge people by selling the parts (like the AVM6) for more than I paid for my fully loaded MC3810s.

But the good news is that you still get the RJ45 Ethernet Port and 2 Serial ports with DB60 connectors even if someone stripped out the Voice Module/Ports. If they have the memory and a nice 12.2 or 12.3 Enterprise Plus IOS (and not a smaller limited function voice specific IOS) they still make nice routers for the CCENT/CCNA if the price is right.

The old 2500s (like the 2501) still have some life in them -- but you'd need a transceiver to use the AUI Ethernet port -- but they're worth $10 if they have max memory (and a transceiver). Some people sell the 2500s cheap and then try to get people to pay $20-25 for a transceiver icon_lol.gif)

In the mean time, check out the free online lab access over at Packet Life (and their "**** sheets"). If you get on the schedule over there, that should help take the edge off your lab envy and cut down on any impulse overpriced eBay purchases.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!