Options

BSOD on netbook

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
My daughters netbook has been corrupted. It's an MIS netbook with XP home. Is there a way to reimage it without an external cd drive I have a recovery CD. Apparently it got infected while she was on facebook so don't think you're safe there.
The symptoms are..
1. MSI welcome screen
2. option to do recovery (doesn't let you...gives BSOD)
3. Start at screen saying windows was shut down wrong and no, it doesn't let me go into safe mode.
4. Windows starts (gives the XP screen with the scrolling progress bar)
5. Gives the BSOD momentarily (not long enough to read and couldn't get screen to pause or anything, finally video'd screen with camera and paused to read screen..BSOD)
6.starts over from MSI welcome screen.

Is there a way to reimage without an external harddrive.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Reimaging is too easy :)

I would boot it via USB to something like WINPE, and do a virusscan, and whilst that is running, copy the bsod minidump files and analyse them to see what has gone wrong. If you decide its not worth fixing and you only have a recovery cd, you will need to (depending on manufacturer) copy the contents of the recovery cd to an external hdd or file server and run the recovery from there - may/may not be possible depending on how recovery environment is set up.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i had the same issue once with my msi u100

i just reimaged it with an external dvd

how ever you can do a network install if you boot from usb

and the msi wind u100 or better works better with 7 over xp so that makes it even easier to install over a network
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    gateway wrote: »
    Reimaging is too easy :)

I would boot it via USB to something like WINPE, and do a virusscan, and whilst that is running, copy the bsod minidump files and analyse them to see what has gone wrong. If you decide its not worth fixing and you only have a recovery cd, you will need to (depending on manufacturer) copy the contents of the recovery cd to an external hdd or file server and run the recovery from there - may/may not be possible depending on how recovery environment is set up.
    Where do I find the BSOD minidump files?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i just reimaged it with an external dvd

Depending on the BIOS, this may or may not be recognized as a boot device.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    I ordered an external DVD (it'll work as I checked the BIOS)

Right now I have the netbook booted into WinPE but can't find what's wrong.
  • Options
    So far reimaging looks like my only hope.
    Does anyone know what file I should look for to find problem? I have the netbook booted with WinPE.
    When I tried to boot the netbook it wouldn't even boot into safe mode. I can't even get it to stop on the BSOD as it just does a reboot.
  • Options
    to me it sounds like the page file
  • Options
    Any recommendations on how to fix it
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

How could you be thinking this based on the little knowledge that we know?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    She has the same model netbook I do.
    From the **** files the only thing readable I have found says page over and over so this leads me to think shae may be right.
    Now how to fix this from the DOS prompt
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    How could you be thinking this based on the little knowledge that we know?

on a safe mode boot it shows a list of files that it accesses in order if your not seeing that list it the page file because thats the first file windows xp starts with on safe mode boot process

anyway

make sure the disk isnt full cause the pagefile grows

also run scandisk cause if there is a physical error on the the sector it will cause an issue (was the prob with mine but i reinstalled anyway)
  • Options
    It goes through several files on the safemode boot. The one it stops on ends in mup.sys I'm assuming it's a driver of some kind.

Anyone know how to turn off auto reboot from the DOS?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    earweed wrote: »
    It goes through several files on the safemode boot. The one it stops on ends in mup.sys I'm assuming it's a driver of some kind.
    MUP is the "Multiple UNC" driver but it isn't the cause of the crashes. Whatever loads AFTER mup.sys is the one that is crashing your PC...
  • Options
    Found this about hanging at the mup.sys and I'm not sure if the battery being kind of bad (only holds charge for about 1 hr. may be part of problem
    The main reasons for this Windows XP or Win 2000 boot hang or alleged mup.sys issue are:
    • Hard disk failure or corruption
    • A corrupted registry or registry hive
    • New hardware has been installed but not did not completely "Register or re-Register" correctly
    • New hardware has been installed but it is faulty or failing
    • The new hardware's driver or windows itself has been compromised (Disk data corruption or by a virus) or (rare) needs to be updated
    • The power supply is marginal in output or failing (Common per user feedback)
    • BIOS\ESCD\Motherboard chipset driver conflict with a component, its driver, or its registry data
    • Existing hardware including the motherboard may have failed in a specific way but not catastrophically.
    I ran chkdsk and it looks good.
  • Options
    Found this about hanging at the mup.sys and I'm not sure if the battery being kind of bad (only holds charge for about 1 hr. may be part of problem
    The main reasons for this Windows XP or Win 2000 boot hang or alleged mup.sys issue are:
    • Hard disk failure or corruption
    • A corrupted registry or registry hive
    • New hardware has been installed but not did not completely "Register or re-Register" correctly
    • New hardware has been installed but it is faulty or failing
    • The new hardware's driver or windows itself has been compromised (Disk data corruption or by a virus) or (rare) needs to be updated
    • The power supply is marginal in output or failing (Common per user feedback)
    • BIOS\ESCD\Motherboard chipset driver conflict with a component, its driver, or its registry data
    • Existing hardware including the motherboard may have failed in a specific way but not catastrophically.
    I ran chkdsk and it looks good.
    That basically lists everything that could possibly happen. You've got hardware fault, software corruption, software bugs or malware in there. Only thing not explicitly listed is operator error :P

Did you snag that off one of the many "what is this file?" sites that are around? They nearly all are just big adverts for some "magic" repair or optimisation package which costs you some amount but only if you ACT NOW!!
  • Options
    Apparently it got infected while she was on facebook so don't think you're safe there.
    Its easy to be safe. Don't use any of those stupid applications and disable Flash. Disable scripting as well if you can. Don't click on any links to external websites. It isn't flaws with Facebook itself. It is malware in the adverts or the applications that pretend to be something else to make you install it.

Do you have a USB->SATA or PATA adapter? If you do then you should be able to just attach a regular DVD drive to one and use that.

I'd say just backup the drive and then do a fresh install. Trying to fix this isn't worth the time or effort since you won't ever be 100% sure you've gotten rid of it.
  • Options
    if you have a pen drive

make an iso of the rescue disk they sent you and go get a program called multi-boot

it lets you boot an iso off a usb drive, its normally found on linux sites, it may work with a recovery iso file

worth a shot

Boot Multiple ISO from USB (MultiBoot USB) | USB Pen Drive Linux
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd suggest trying to boot it with a linux thumb drive. From there, you can view and edit the Windows files. This would give you a chance to at least look at the event viewer, and possibly make some changes.

What you really want to do is get it up in safe mode so you can make it stop restarting after the blue screen. Once your in:
    1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System
    2. Go to Advanced
    3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
    4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"
    I'm not sure how much of this you could do in Wine, but it's worth a try.

Very possible.
  • Options
    Tried thios and no luck so far. Wasted a whole day on this. My external DVD will be in this week so I can reimage it and hopefully that fixes it, if not I needed an external anyway. It's not under warranty anymore so that's out of the question.
    Ram checks out fine, HDD checks out fine, can't get it to defrag. For some reason Control-alt-del doesn't affect it when I press them either.
    I guess my daughter can use my laptop for the remainder of the time it takes to fix hers if it can be fixed (eventually it will if it's not something major like the MOBO bad.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wish I had read better before posting instead of skimming the replies. Has she been playing with winsock or tcp/ip settings? If you are at a point where you can move files around (which it sounds like you are) try to replace your mup.sys and ndis.sys with copies of those files from another XP home machine. I believe ndis is what loads after mup.
  • Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Where do I find the BSOD minidump files?

Sorry just picked this back up again... busy weekend. Not sure if you need this anymore but for future ref:

C:\windows\Minidump

If you have minidump files in there, open them with bluscreenview

Sometimes depending on the severity of the crash these files won't get chance to write themselves.

Hope this helps.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    Have already checked the minidump. There are a lot of different problems. I'm just going to reimage the netbook.
    I don't really have time between work and school to mess with it anymore. In the meantime I installed easy peasy so my daughter doesn't have to use my laptop (too many things she could mess up) and all she does is go to facebook and you-tube mostly.