Options

unemployment benefits and temp contracts: NJ

sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
I am working FT right now, and I am just curious if anyone knows/experienced this...

If I hypothetically accepted a "try and buy" contract (3 months to hire), but for whatever reason, I was not hired FT, can you claim unemployment benefits? Or am I SOL?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I'm not mistaken you would not be eligible for unemployment because you have to be with a company for a certain time period to get unemployment. That may vary from state to state though.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    I am working FT right now, and I am just curious if anyone knows/experienced this...

If I hypothetically accepted a "try and buy" contract (3 months to hire), but for whatever reason, I was not hired FT, can you claim unemployment benefits? Or am I SOL?

I cannot imagine that you would be able to. This is one reason why many companies do the try and buy thing. They don't like you, they drop you at the end and don't have to worry about unemployment.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Department of Labor and Workforce Development | What is Needed to Qualify? Did You Earn Enough?

This should explain what is needed in order to qualify. As far as I know as long as you qualify on the base weeks/pay side and your let go from a contracting job then you can collect. I did but that was back in 03-04 bouncing from unemployment to temp job and back and forth. For specifics you'd have to contact unemployment.