Options

Movies anyone?

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
I am planning to buy some digital movies online because they are cheaper and I don't have to worry of DVD cases in my room.

I have an iTunes, but if I buy the movies there, I think I can only play them on either iTunes or any iDevices.

Do you have any legit websites that sells movies that can be downloaded to the computer and doesn't need a certain player to play the movies?

Thanks
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    thehourman wrote: »
    doesn't need a certain player to play the movies?
    This requirement is going to make what you're looking for basically impossible to find. I don't know of anywhere that doesn't put DRM onto the movie files and when that happens, you're going to have to use their player or something which can drive the DRM and codec systems to view them.

You're not going to find somewhere that just gives you movies from a big studio that is just delivered as a massive MPEG2 or MPEG4 file without protection.
  • Options
    Mmm.

Off-topic question,
    Last night, I rented the Bourne Identity movie off iTunes. It worked and the quality is like DVD. So, after I finished watching the movie, I rented the Bourne Supremacy movie.
    Now, the problem is after I downloaded the rented Bourne Supremacy movie, it does not play on iTunes, I tried to transfer the movie to iPad, and the iPad says the format is not supported.
    I emailed Apple support, but I haven't gotten their reply. I am getting frustrated with this iTunes crap now.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Options
    Talk to support for a refund. That isn't normal.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Now, the problem is after I downloaded the rented Bourne Supremacy movie, it does not play on iTunes, I tried to transfer the movie to iPad, and the iPad says the format is not supported.

Maybe they accidentally sent it to you in Flash ;)
  • Options
    Lol,
    I just got a replied from Apple and she made redownload it again. And now it is working.
    I am ready to rent the Ultimatum.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    Dun dun DUNNNNN...
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    tiersten wrote: »
    This requirement is going to make what you're looking for basically impossible to find. I don't know of anywhere that doesn't put DRM onto the movie files and when that happens, you're going to have to use their player or something which can drive the DRM and codec systems to view them.

You're not going to find somewhere that just gives you movies from a big studio that is just delivered as a massive MPEG2 or MPEG4 file without protection.

And they wonder why people pirate movies....
  • Options
    SabaloSabalo Member Posts: 100
    Heero wrote: »

I once knew someone that downloaded a pirated copy of software they owned because it was quicker than dealing with an uncaring customer service.
    I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

So, are you saying 'people' have decided it is ok to steal something because it is not availbable to them free? icon_scratch.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I've been using netflix for a year now. $8.95/month to watch unlimited numbers of movies. No, they won't usually have brand new releases out, but if that is your desire we could compare that to the need to buy bleeding edge P.C. parts - you wait 3 months and a $600 video card will likely come down in price by half.

90% of what I watch with netflix is the streaming content they have available. We use it on the blu-ray player on one t.v., the wii on another, or if I want to watch an old Chuck Norris movie (wife is NOT interested) I use the computer. I don't even have cable t.v., netflix has it covered! For the past few weeks I've been watching episodes of prison break :D
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    ehnde wrote: »
    I've been using netflix for a year now. $8.95/month to watch unlimited numbers of movies. No, they won't usually have brand new releases out, but if that is your desire we could compare that to the need to buy bleeding edge P.C. parts - you wait 3 months and a $600 video card will likely come down in price by half.

90% of what I watch with netflix is the streaming content they have available. We use it on the blu-ray player on one t.v., the wii on another, or if I want to watch an old Chuck Norris movie (wife is NOT interested) I use the computer. I don't even have cable t.v., netflix has it covered! For the past few weeks I've been watching episodes of prison break :D

Prison Break seasons 1 and 2 are some of the best things ever put on tv... season 3 is pretty good too...

i love Netflix, i have it on my Roku HD, best $99 I ever spent, hands down, and it's cheaper now... i cut cable off years ago to go with OTA & Netflix, and then I added a TiVo to DVR my OTA, Netflix has saved me a small fortune over the years
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□

So what comes after the Bourne Ultimatum? The Bourne I Know You Are But What Am I? The Bourne Say It Don't Spray It?

They peaked too early in the naming convention.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    So, are you saying 'people' have decided it is ok to steal somethin

not justifying anything, but its NOT theft, its copyright infringement.....
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    So what comes after the Bourne Ultimatum? The Bourne I Know You Are But What Am I? The Bourne Say It Don't Spray It?

They peaked too early in the naming convention.
    I've always thought the names to be a little silly.

The original author only made 3 Bourne books and Ultimatum was the last one so I guess that would make sense for the naming scheme. The guy passed away over 10 years later so I assume that he had planned it to be only a trilogy. A new author appeared after this and has already made 5 extra books and more on the way. The films apparently don't follow the book plots at all except in the first film. The next one is Bourne Legacy it appears...
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    not justifying anything, but its NOT theft, its copyright infringement.....

You weren't the OP on that comment, but to comment on your comment, copyright infringement at its core is theft is it not? ;)

Still is an integrity issue. We don't need to like how things work, but that doesn't grant permission to use/take/copy for our own (or as our own work) use.

It sounds like the OP of this topic did manage for have his/her problem resolved and is up and running (watching). :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□

Anybody I know who regularly pirate stuff do so because its free.

Stuff I pirate is music I cannot get in iTunes because its some lesser known techno/rave mix I heard and I wanted in digital format.

Movies I pirate are anime that are fan subbed and not available in the US.