Options

Question about SAMBA fileshares

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
I currently have a Ubuntu 10.04 server joined to my Windows 2003 AD domain. I have it working perfectly (by this i mean that im able to logon with any AD user).

My SAMBA server is meant to replace out current windows fileserver and I'd like to copy over all the files while keeping my ACL from the windows machines.

Is this possible and ifso how?

Comments

• Options
    Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    scopy.exe is your friend. It's part of the Reskit.

As long as the user SID will be common in your scenario - i.e. you are merely moving files that are part of the same trust realm (single domain) and no separate domains/workgroup SMB hosts are involved.
  • Options
    Fugazi1000 wrote: »
    scopy.exe is your friend. It's part of the Reskit.

As long as the user SID will be common in your scenario - i.e. you are merely moving files that are part of the same trust realm (single domain) and no separate domains/workgroup SMB hosts are involved.

I am currently working in a single domain environment. Is there a similar tool for linux?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I would initiate the copy from the Windows side using robocopy. That should retain all ACLs for the data.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    I would initiate the copy from the Windows side using robocopy. That should retain all ACLs for the data.

I tried robocopy but its not working 100% as it is copying the ACL's but not the timestams ie create and modify dates.

robocopy \\man_fs2\Batteries \\bed-fs1\servers\man_fs2\Batteries /sec /e
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any errors from robocopy?
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Any errors from robocopy?

I reviewed the logs and got no errors.
    I just need to get the ACL's and time stamps copied correctly
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can you copy some files using Explorer and see if the ACLs/timestamps carry over? Also post the smb.conf and the output of "smbd --version" from the Samba server.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV