Options

Debating management promotion

jdbst56jdbst56 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been with my current company for over 5 years. I've been working as the senior desktop engineering lead. I do most of the projects and new technology implementation while my coworker is a junior level engineer who handles the day to day operations tasks. We're a two person team but responsible for a broad range of systems including Citrix, WSUS, Zenworks (application/patch deployment), McAfee ePO, and the desktop imaging environment.

We have an operations manager position which oversees our desktop technicians and help desk. The position has become available as the current manager has made a lateral move to a new position. I inquired about the position as soon as it became available. Our two person engineering team does not currently work under this manager but we would move under this team if I took the promotion. I would be responsible for 10 employees over 3 geographic sites. We have about 1700 users in our organization.

Their initial offer was 10% on top of my current salary. Since my current salary is about 10% under market value for my position, I balked at their offer and came back with a counter. They came back to me with another 10% to make it a 20% increase. Most people feel this is a no-brainer decision. My only concern is that me being the go-to guy in my current position leaves little margin for error in bringing in my replacement. I know that the intiial transition will be tough regardless but I suppose my concern is that I don't want to be responsible for two positions. The junior level engineer doesn't want the senior role and I would have concerns that he would be up to the challenge anyway.

I had a talk with the M&O manager who is above this position. Basically I was trying to get a feel for what percentage of technical work I was expected to do in addition to being a manager. I voiced my concern that I wouldn't be able to dedicate 8 hours a day to major project implementation if I take this position. Unfortunately the outcome of that discussion really wasn't of much value. So at this point if I want the job, I'd have to take a leap of faith so to speak and hope that we can find a high quality person who can learn and get up to speed quickly. I just wanted to get your thoughts on this. This would be my first true management position but they want me to continue to be somewhat technical in the role. I have about 9 years of experience in different engineering/sysadmin type roles so I thought this might be a good time to break into management. It's just tough to make a decision on a variable that is unknown. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ComputadoraComputadora Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would personally take the management position and then interview and hire the right senior desktop engineer guy that I am confident/comfortable with. Of course theirs no guarantees that the hire will be the right person in the end, lots of managers sometimes hire the wrong person, in that case fire him, and look for another guy.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Take the job. It will take you to new areas professionally and will make you more marketable if you wish to move on in the future. The industry is moving to a more managed operations model anyway so you want some of that experience under your belt now. 9 years field experience is plenty. Stay there too long and you get slotted or your head shot off. Which ever happens first! Good luck.
  • Options
    cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    I would take the position. I'm glad your company was able to compensate you 20%, but ultimately this gives you management experience which in the future could pay tremendously if you decide to venture out in the market. It also allows you to get the experience necessary for the PMP examination as well. If and when you get that, you can definitely command a higher salary and have the justification, or make yourself that much more marketable.

If you pass on this and stay where you're currently at, I think you'll always wonder "what if." This is a position you want, take it.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • Options
    jdbst56jdbst56 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been a lurker here for quite a while but never actually posted before. It's nice to have a community of people to bounce ideas off of. Anyway, I guess one of the questions is when is it right to make that move to management? I'm 30 years old so I could probably stay technical longer if I wanted to, but what is that cut off point where there might be more benefit to move to management? I have worked with a few 40-50 year old guys who have stayed technical, but I'd think that the older you get the more difficult it is to stay marketable in a technical role. I know some people that have made this same move from technical to management have told me that you have to be prepared to do it just because your role changes. However I think in this position I'll be having a say in the technical side of things. I just hope it's not too much say in that I'm still doing the majority of the work, lol. One other thing that I thought of maybe in favor of this move is how long can you go until you start to get burned out in a technical role? Have any of you ever experienced this where you've put in so many solutions and have to learn every new technology that comes out that you just get burned out from it? I wouldn't say that I'm at that point right now but I could see getting there after another 10 years. I'm sure there are some people who are driven by this challenge and thrive on it to the point where they want to be doing something new all the time.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We are the same age. I don't know about you, but I have been ready for management for quite a while. Then, I found a job that was technical with a lot more room to grow. If I had not found this position, I would have been looking to go management.

The other question to ask is do you have to be 100% managerial? If you can be 80/20, or something like that, it may be a lot more beneficial that you may realize. You know all of those basic technical tasks that are mundane and boring? You don't have to do them... but now you have basic and mundane managerial tasks... and more money. However, you can focus on project management still and make the blueprints for technical implementations, then you have your folks under you implement. Also, it will be a good way for you to mentor others, which allows you to still stay technical for that.

Right now, this is more of a transitional management role, as it is your first. Learn what you can from this job... like if you want to stay managerial. You will be the one that has to make these decisions and live with the outcome. Just keep an open mind and learn as much as you can. Feel free to PM me, I would love to hear how things go from time to time.

Also, may you want to consider writing a periodic update... maybe to a sticking post. This is an area that a lot of people have an interest and sharing your experiences could help them and you (as you can get feedback).

Best wishes.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro