70-643 Transcender/ucertify

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
I'm still studying for the 70-643 exam. I've now done Transcender, Measure up and u-certify.
I noticed on the transcender exam (actual timed) where you have 4 different exams you don't really benefit unless you do them all. Each timed exam seems to group itself in one particular area (in each topic) and doesn't really help you unless you actually do all 4 tests.
So far the ucertify seems like crap. I know what the test is going for and transcender and ucertify will ask 4 or 5 of the same type of questions where the actual test will only have 1 question from that area. Can't really be specific because of NDA but the 2 of them together almost make one good practice test bank.
One exam will have 4 or 5 questions where you have to understand Appcmd syntax really well and another will have 4 or 5 questions where you need to understand about cscript. Transcender even had a question where you had to know syntax for a sql command line. Neither is very good or balanced in the questions They just group them together too much.

Anyone else used these and have any opinions?
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• ZillatechZillatech Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I never do the "Timed Tests" on Transcender, only the entire bank of questions (150+)

I found that the Timed questions are exactly the same as the "Optimized" questions with just some wording changed slightly.

I was thinking about doing the "MeasureUP" questions too, how are those? I'm going through the CBT Nuggets course now ... Not sure if I will take this test in Dec. or later. I'm concerned about all the extra "R2" content.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Now that it's out of Beta (at least 643 is, don't think 640 is yet) there aren't that many specific R2 questions. The measure up is probably the best of the 3 I've used.
    I agree doing the whole test bank untimed is better. Taking notes while doing the test rules. U-certify is still crap for this though.
    While the test is in beta they give you 70-75 questions but you don't know what's ungraded.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • ZillatechZillatech Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I suppose the Exam "Duration" will let me know if its a regular test or includes the Beta questions? I know the Windows 7 Exam was longer than the rest but it had more questions too.

Are some people only seeing the standard amount of questions and some not? Where did you read the Beta period is over?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I thought I'll chime in too. uCertify have usually been crap, I never bought a whole exam from them, just tried the free 10 questions trial ones and the questions were ridiculously easy, way easier than the actual test. They actually looked like a watered down version of Transcender. Steer clear from them, IMO.

Transcender usually make practice questions harder than the actual exam. And they generally provide good explanation for the right and wrong answers. If you can afford them, stick with them. One source is never enough as you know, a mix of Transcender/MeasureUp should be adequate practice I'd say.

On a side note, how are you finding the Server 2008 R2 Unleashed book. I am going through it and so far it's good. My next attempt at the 647 is scheduled for the middle of next month and I intend going through the whole book.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    The unleashed book is really good. I've read all the 643 stuff in it, twice.
    Right now I'm relabbing EVERYTHING and doing practice tests. I'll nail this sucker this time. Having seen the test 3 times already I know what to expect. I had no repeat questions but a lot of the same areas were hammered on.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am sure you'll get it next time, my advice would be to lab Group Policy really really well. Dont slack on the other areas, but I'd definitely spend a lot of time on GPO's also since 647 tests quite heavily on this section.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Yeah group policy is big and certificates. Ithink I've got those down for this test. I'm taking it sometime next week (maybe) or the week after.
    I'm relabbing everything and doing deeper labs than previously.
  • LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    earweed wrote: »
    Yeah group policy is big and certificates. Ithink I've got those down for this test. I'm taking it sometime next week (maybe) or the week after.
    I'm relabbing everything and doing deeper labs than previously.

I'm gonna do 643 very soon, probably on the 6th December. It certainly is a bit of a tricky one to study because the topics aren't as tightly focused as in 640 and 642. SharePoint and Deployment are interesting to me but the two of the biggies in the exam IIS and RDS don't really get me going at all.

I'm determined to get a good score so I can move on to 647 (which I"m really looking forward to studying) then I'm going to get into SQL Server 2008 and do 70-432.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog