Options

Job opinions please

BlackBellaBlackBella Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have 0 IT experience...Period!icon_sad.gif

Would u take this deal?

I received a call from a company as a contractor for Capgemini.
Title: Entry Project Coordinator Assistant
Job: Working with the PM
Length: 9 months +.
Pay: $13-14hr

I have 6 months worth of rent and a fully furnished apartment thanks to my parents. Also in the works of negotiation another 6 months rent with my parents...icon_cool.gif

Opinions....
GSU- BA International Studies
WGU BSIT-Database
(10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
Classed needed to graduate: WFV1,TEV1,TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, LET1, GUT1, WSV1, WDV1, TPV1, TSV1,MGC1, ORC1, TWA1, PFI6, CPW6, ALV1, AMV1
1st term goal: EWB,WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, , GUT1
Certifications::study: One day soon

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the following needs to be determined first, but overall any experience is definitely worth something:

Is there anything else on the table (other offers)?
    What are your IT position goals 5 years from now? 10 years from now?
    What sectors of IT interest you?
    What are the duties involved and how much of the experience is directly related to IT?
  • Options
    I think the following needs to be determined first, but overall any experience is definitely worth something:

Is there anything else on the table (other offers)?
    What are your IT position goals 5 years from now? 10 years from now?
    What sectors of IT interest you?
    What are the duties involved and how much of the experience is directly related to IT?

1. I have other offers, but nothing IT related.

2. Honestly, to get into the consulting, project management, or IT Management side. In the next 5-10 years I like to be sipping wine on a beach in St. Croix with my two dogs (future invisible husband and ruff ruff). icon_cheers.gif
    Reality, in 5-10 years I like to be an IT Project Manager.

3. It's me being Robin to Batman. Based off the description I said it about 40 % computer related (Some basic and some technical) and 60% using my political and public speaking background.
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
    Classed needed to graduate: WFV1,TEV1,TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, LET1, GUT1, WSV1, WDV1, TPV1, TSV1,MGC1, ORC1, TWA1, PFI6, CPW6, ALV1, AMV1
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    BlackBella wrote: »
    1. I have other offers, but nothing IT related.

2. Honestly, to get into the consulting, project management, or IT Management side. In the next 5-10 years I like to be sipping wine on a beach in St. Croix with my two dogs (future invisible husband and ruff ruff). icon_cheers.gif
    Reality, in 5-10 years I like to be an IT Project Manager.

3. It's me being Robin to Batman. Based off the description I said it about 40 % computer related (Some basic and some technical) and 60% using my political and public speaking background.

I'd say look deeper into the company, find out any reviews you can from others that may have worked with this company, and then make the decision.

Overall, seeing that you are wanting to go into management, this sounds like a great start. I know there are tons of IT managers on this site, and I believe N2IT has tons of management framework certifications and knowledge and hopefully they will chime in on this :P

Assuming you take the job, it might be time to start looking at things like Project+ or ITILv3 (on top of whatever specialties you may also be looking at). CompTIA certs are no longer retaining their lifetime shelf life as of 1/1/2011 so if you have time (and I know its a rush), getting the Sec+ would be good in terms of rounding out your knowledge base as well as satisfying a few levels in the 8570 (if you decide to go government). Do note though that the Sec+ relies on your experience with the A+ and Net+ curriculum.
  • Options
    I'd say look deeper into the company, find out any reviews you can from others that may have worked with this company, and then make the decision.

Overall, seeing that you are wanting to go into management, this sounds like a great start. I know there are tons of IT managers on this site, and I believe N2IT has tons of management framework certifications and knowledge and hopefully they will chime in on this :P

Assuming you take the job, it might be time to start looking at things like Project+ or ITILv3 (on top of whatever specialties you may also be looking at). CompTIA certs are no longer retaining their lifetime shelf life as of 1/1/2011 so if you have time (and I know its a rush), getting the Sec+ would be good in terms of rounding out your knowledge base as well as satisfying a few levels in the 8570 (if you decide to go government). Do note though that the Sec+ relies on your experience with the A+ and Net+ curriculum.

Thanks so much! I had one IT job lined up last year, but this so called friend wanted more than a IT worker. I test for A+ soon. I will work on the following next year. I do want to eventually work for the government, or on a military base.
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    in 5-10 years I like to be an IT Project Manager.

Take the job and change your target for IT Project Manager to next year (or 2012 so it doesn't interfere with your WGU studies) -- and a Management position in 5 years.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Take the job and change your target for IT Project Manager to next year (or 2012 so it doesn't interfere with your WGU studies) -- and a Management position in 5 years.

I changed my program to IT Management at WGU. I am suppose to be done by Jan 2012. I will follow that route... Danke!
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have 0 IT experience...Period!icon_sad.gif

Would u take this deal?

I received a call from a company as a contractor for Capgemini.
    Job: Working with the PM
    Length: 9 months +.
    Pay: $13-14hr

I have 6 months worth of rent and a fully furnished apartment thanks to my parents. Also in the works of negotiation another 6 months rent with my parents...icon_cool.gif

Opinions....

Sure why not. Sounds like decent experience and you seem into it.
  • Options
    WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    I didn't read the entire post but if you're trying to break into the IT field, and you have 0 experience but you have a job offer -- DO IT.

Unfortuantly certs and degrees aren't enough. An employer would rather take someone with exp and no certs than no exp and certs.

Even if its STILL in the IT field, once you have a year or two under your belt you can branch off to what you really want and this way it'll open more doors.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE