Options

BootCamp

mikeyoungmikeyoung Member Posts: 101
Can anyone advise on an excellent CCNA bootcamp or if there really is such a thing?

Thanks in advance folks,

Mike Young
Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability.

Comments

• Options
    I guess I will take that as I "no". I am going to try one, so I will let y'all know how it is.

Mike
    Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I don't recommend bootcamps (regardless for which exam) unless you have a fair amount of knowledge/experience already. Instead, go to a certified training center and take the official exam course. Most, not all, bootcamps are not created to help you pass, just to make them money. And you can probably guess how many of these bootcamps keep their passing ratio so high...

Personally I would rather spend my money on a good home lab which I can use for both exam and job preparation.

Having said that, if you are going to try one, try google-ing for reviews, and try to get the most experienced instructor.
  • Options
    williamwbishopwilliamwbishop Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    I don't recommend bootcamps (regardless for which exam) unless you have a fair amount of knowledge/experience already. Instead, go to a certified training center and take the official exam course. Most, not all, bootcamps are not created to help you pass, just to make them money. And you can probably guess how many of these bootcamps keep their passing ratio so high...

Personally I would rather spend my money on a good home lab which I can use for both exam and job preparation.

Having said that, if you are going to try one, try google-ing for reviews, and try to get the most experienced instructor.

seconded. For that kind of money, you can buy a whole ccnp lab, all the study materials, and probably some extras.
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Johan, I'm actually going to a www.techmentorevents.com conference where they will be training for different microsoft networking certs. Do you consider that a bootcamp? The company is paying for it so to me money isn't the issue.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    To stay on the safe side, I consider any MS crash course that isn't a MOC, a bootcamp. Though even a MOC can be considered a bootcamp, the main difference is usually that they don't promise you any miracles. Certainly there must be some good and honest bootcamps as well, which can be an excellent way to prepare for an exam, especially if you have a bunch of experience already but need to focus on the exam topics.

That conference you are going to looks like a great opportunity and I don't think any comparisson with the term 'bootcamp' would be just. Especially considering the companies that present it. Though I'd go just because Todd Lammle is a featured speaker. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    I am taking an online boot camp next week. I will let y'all know how it is.

Mike
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i think boot camps are ok if

1. you already have some knowledge about what your going for
    2. your unable to steal the time to study in your normal day/week
    3. if the bootcamp is highely recommended by others that have been
    4. if it will not break you
    5. you will definitely pass (getting over the hump of info that you may lack)

i had considered going to one for ccna a while back but i was not able to due to issues on the companies part .. it took me 3 more months to do it on my own

icon_mad.gif online boot camp is a no no.... its better be in a full submerged training environment in which thats all you will breathe from sun up till u go to sleep
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    ^^^^^^^^^ agree 100%

Bootcamps are great for people that have been in that field of study for sometime and only need enough knowledge to pass the exam.

Bootcamps teach you how to pass the exam and the exam only. You will not walk away from a bootcamp and knowing how to trouble shoot every day problems that IT people deal with day in day out.