Options

New guy going for CCIE

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wishing you all the luck you need to get that number. Beat the lab to pulp!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    1000! I wanted to reach 1000 before lab and I have. I did a final mock today, a bit better than last time but still not a pass, 71/100. To my defence I lost 3 points due to a bug. Had BGP setup correctly but other end refused to peer. Same config as SG. Also for one task the SG had enabled PIM on an interface that was not allowed according to instructions. That is another 3 points. I solved the task with a multicast helper map instead. Then I had some silly mistakes like reading that loopbacks of two routers should both be external but one said internal and one external.

Anyone heard of TOS min monetary cost? No, not me either.

I just barely passed the TS section. It was difficult. One task was just stupid. Two map-classes were configured, one had EEK enabled and the other didn't. When looking in running-config they were both named the same. The class was applied under the frame-relay interface but the wrong class so EEK was failing. I looked for whitespace etc but could not find a solution, I was restricted from changing the map-class. Apparently Cisco had inserted some special character with ctrl-v ctrl-a. This is just plain stupid and has nothing to do with real skills.

Anyway I feel that I at least have a shot at this thing but I think I would have needed about 200h more to be closer to a pass but I hope I can perform next week.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    reaper81 wrote: »
    1000! I wanted to reach 1000 before lab and I have. I did a final mock today, a bit better than last time but still not a pass, 71/100. To my defence I lost 3 points due to a bug. Had BGP setup correctly but other end refused to peer. Same config as SG. Also for one task the SG had enabled PIM on an interface that was not allowed according to instructions. That is another 3 points. I solved the task with a multicast helper map instead. Then I had some silly mistakes like reading that loopbacks of two routers should both be external but one said internal and one external.

Anyone heard of TOS min monetary cost? No, not me either.

I just barely passed the TS section. It was difficult. One task was just stupid. Two map-classes were configured, one had EEK enabled and the other didn't. When looking in running-config they were both named the same. The class was applied under the frame-relay interface but the wrong class so EEK was failing. I looked for whitespace etc but could not find a solution, I was restricted from changing the map-class. Apparently Cisco had inserted some special character with ctrl-v ctrl-a. This is just plain stupid and has nothing to do with real skills.

Anyway I feel that I at least have a shot at this thing but I think I would have needed about 200h more to be closer to a pass but I hope I can perform next week.

Dont worry about the mocks. Some people get 50's and pass the real thing. Ctrl-v you need so you can apply a question mark to the running config. Yeah lame.

Main thing now Daniel is sleep well, eat well and rest well leading up to this first lab attempt. Detox as well. Try some hot baths.
  • Options
    FAIL icon_sad.gif Have to regroup but don't have much motivation right now. Hopefully I'll get it back in a couple of days.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    tough luck man! Youll get it next time.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    FAIL icon_sad.gif Have to regroup but don't have much motivation right now. Hopefully I'll get it back in a couple of days.

Even Scott Morris failed his first time through.

Step 1: Watch this
    Famous Failures - YouTube

Step 2: Schedule your next lab date

Step 3: Prepare

Step 4: Celebrate

You're very inspiring to some of us, whether your realize it or not, I see your posts all over the internet, not just on techexams.net, so I know that you're seriously into studying for this, so no need to stop now.

Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Sorry to hear!

Oh well, just remember, you're a warrior. This won't defeat you.. you've come this far. Pretty soon you'll be laughing in the CCIE exam's face (okay maybe that would be a little weird. Plus I don't know how it would work).

This is a long thread, you've been at it a long time. Maybe take a little time off and gather yourself. And then back to war!! You're right there!!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□

Aww man. You got it next time.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    thadizzythadizzy Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tough luck but the real deal when it comes to acctually passing this lab is to be able to come back from a failed lab. Make a battleplan how to tacke this straight away, don't let all knowledge fade away by waiting too long. You should still be around your peak knowledgewise concidering how much effort you put into this already.

But it is devastating.. for me that was the toughest part. Hopefully by attempting the lab you learned a little what topics you really know well and which you need more studies on.

And then there is the psychological thing i keep talking about which means next time it'll go so much easier ;p
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    take sometime to rest. Goodluck on the 2nd attempt
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Well, the lab exam has a high fail rate, we all know that going in.

Don't get discouraged. Now you know what you don't know, and any nervousness you may have had about the lab format itself should be dispelled. Be annoyed and irritated about the time and money expended on the failure, but use that as motivation to go back and kill it. I have no doubt you'll kill it on your next try.

Nine times down, ten times up.
  • Options
    ipSpaceipSpace Member Posts: 147

Of course you will get back! The community will not you abadon this..we will hunt you down! :)

Sorry for the fail, but man, you are an inspiration to this forum, do not get discouraged!
    Keep pushing!

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • Options
    honohono Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sorry to hear this...

Don't worry about this, for me also the first time was not a good experience...

But after a few days, you must booked a second attempt in 2 / 3 month and focus you to your weaknesses,

and for the second attempt, you'll be ready and you'll pass
    Daniel
    CCIE R&S
  • Options
    Thanks Daniel,

I'm booking a new attempt soon. It will be in a couple of months. I have already started studying for next attempt. I'm using Google calendar to put all the stuff I want to study in my calendar.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    New date has been booked. I'm back in the race :)
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Man!

That sucks, but I am sure you'll be even more determined and fired up this time around! You will kill it, I have no doubt about it!
    How was the experience itself, did you clearly notice which areas you needed to brush up more on, or will you be going over a lot of the stuff from scratch again?

In any case, we will all be here to support you!
  • Options
    I have identified some areas I need to improve but overall I felt my knowledge was on par with what is needed. However strategy/time management is very very important. I got a lot worse scores than I think my actual knowledge is at. Just have to be a bit better next time. I'm doing all I can to prepare and with a little luck next time will be a better result.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Did a big post on my blog for Catalyst QoS. Seems to be an area many people struggle with and it was good practice for me to put everything down on "paper".
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass reaper. It just shows how hard this thing is - you've done a crapload of work. Best of luck on the next shot
  • Options
    thadizzythadizzy Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Rescheduled yet? Don't give up!!
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Hey reaper,

How's it going? I hope you didn't give up!

Cheers,
    Fin
  • Options
    Hey,

Haven't given up but had another non pass. Passed the TS but not the config. I'll probably make another attempt in the fall or winter as we are expecting the new member in the family within a couple of weeks.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    Sorry to hear about your last attempt. You've built a pretty good knowledge base thus far and I'm confident you'll achieve your goals. But for now, take care of your family and everything that's most important to you in the grand scheme. The CCIE is not going anywhere.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    Hey,

Haven't given up but had another non pass. Passed the TS but not the config. I'll probably make another attempt in the fall or winter as we are expecting the new member in the family within a couple of weeks.

congrats on the new family member! Congrats on the TS section. From what I've read that section is reaallly tough.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Thanks guys :)

Family is my priority right now. Like you said the CCIE is not going anywhere. I'll study enough to keep the knowledge I have and then when everything calms down I'll start to focus more on it again. I know I'll pass some day, my time will come.

I'll be rooting for you guys in the mean time.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Hey buddy! Just checking to see how you're doing! Hopefully family is well and that you're getting a much needed time for re-charging. Look forward to your next update.
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    Hi :)

We're still waiting for the baby. If nothing happens they will start the delivery in the weekend since by then it is two weeks overdue. I'm still studying and focusing on multicast right now. I'm going to an INE bootcamp in late August and looking at doing a new attempt in the fall. Hope everything is good with you as well.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    All is well on my side. I'm coming up on 10 months at my new job and have settled in pretty nicely. Our boy #3 is now 6 months and getting bigger. Now that I'm a bit settled at home and work, I'm now trying to get a good momentum towards the CCIE written. I considered CCIP for a bit since I now work at an SP but since they changed the track, I'll just focus on CCIE written but continue working on BGP and MPLS. I just won't take the exams.

Good luck with the baby. These are exciting times. Cherish it. We had to induce our baby as well but he was only a couple of days overdue. As far as the CCIE, keep pushing (no pun) ;) and you'll get your numbers soon enough. I'll keep stopping by to watch your progress. I may need some extra push too every now and then to get me going. This site (TE) has always been a good source of motivation and inspiration.
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    Hi :)

We're still waiting for the baby. If nothing happens they will start the delivery in the weekend since by then it is two weeks overdue. I'm still studying and focusing on multicast right now. I'm going to an INE bootcamp in late August and looking at doing a new attempt in the fall. Hope everything is good with you as well.

Good luck with the baby and your bootcamp. Why did you choose INE over Narbik? I'm only asking because I was hoping to attend a Narbik bootcamp in August.
  • Options
    Hey guys,

It was a baby girl this time! She weighed in at 3720 grams and 50 cm long. Everything is great with the family.

James, I chose INE because I have been using all their workbooks and I want to meet up with Brian and the other candidates. It also fit me well with being in London during that time frame.

Narbik should be great as well so I don't think you could go wrong with any of those two. INE had some instructors earlier that wasn't that great but now that Brians are running everything it is great.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149