Options

Switching sides!

Hey all, just thought i'd introduce myself seeing as I will be creepin' around this forum now and maybe posting. I was pushing real hard for the Cisco certs and got a decent way through the CCNP but landed a new job that will require a lot more MS than Cisco. I haven't quite decided if i'll be doing SA or EA but i'm starting to tackle the AD and Network Infrastructure exams. Few questions:

1) Are there any good online resources? Packetlife.net was a great resource for Cisco stuff, especially the **** sheets. Is there anything like that for Microsoft? **** sheets for powershell/command line/whatever? What about good blogs?

2) What should I be expecting of the exam? Cisco exams weren't all that hard but definitely challening. Is it the same format? Multiple choice, drag and drop, and simulation? If there are simulations what should I be preparing for and expecting?

3) Does anyone know how many times I can install Server 2k8 inside a VM if I got my license from DreamSpark? I can't seem to find this answer anywhere and my key is starting to act up and won't let me activate anymore.

4) Which do you think is better for Microsoft? CBT nuggets or Train Signal? There's no doubt that Jeremy for CBT was the best for Cisco but i'm not sure about the Microsoft videos.

Comments

• Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    Welcome to TE!

1. I like TE as far as online resources. As for **** sheets, I tend to go over the exam objectives for review and hammer out anything I'm not 100% confident in. I like the MS press books. They have labs that really help with hands on. Otherwise, I've used the exam cram books. They include a **** sheet.

2. Some M$ exams are more challenging than others. However, if you know the stuff, you'll do fine. Same format you'd come to expect. Simulations, Drag and Drop, Multiple guess/multiple answer.

3. Unless you have a Server 2k8 Datacenter license, you're good for only 1 license. I'd check out Microsoft.com/licensing for more info. If you're just using server 2k8 for labs, I don't put a license key in and use it in demo mode.

4. I haven't been a fan of train signal. Their videos are good, but not tailored to the structure of the tests. I just stick to my M$ press books for the most part though.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Labsim/testout seems pretty good for the Server 2008 stuff. Tried Trainsignal and didn't care for it.
    As far as online resources go check the sticky thread by claymoore wth all the referenced technet articles. Technet articles will help you out.
    Don't forget that the tests now cover Server 2008 R2 and supplement the MS Press book with either technet SPECIFIC to R2 content or get the Server 2008 R2 Unleashed book to supplement the MS Press book.
    Using your VM's you have a period before they need to be activated but you can rearm them by typing slmgr.vbs /rearm at the command prompt of your VM. It resets the activation timer.(You can do this 3 times)
    You should really be labbing with Server 2008 R2 if you can. It's 64 bit only which may limit a lot of people from using it.

For the enterprise edition you are good for 4 VMs and datacenter is unlimited. Standard you can only have 1 VM.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a license from Dreamspark and I have had to reimage a few times. Since I cant activate online anymore, all I need to do is all and I am able to activate.