Options

Another QOS

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Hey everyone,

Cisco 5505 with Security plus, 2xT1s.

I have a client two has two sites. One site holds a large Citrix farm. The second site, a dozen or so users with a couple of local servers. They are insistent on using FTP to move documents to the remote site.

So we enabled FTP on a server there and added an access rule. My manager is worried when FTP transfers are underway it might impact their Citrix experience.
He asked me to “limit” FTP traffic to 2megs.

Seems to me I create a classmap, policymap specifying FTP on the destination server and put in policing to 2megs with a 2meg burst would do it. But I am not clear on this.
If they try and go over two megs and the pipe is slammed, does that mean the FTP sessions time out, or is there data loss? Does it just queue up the transmission.

Seems to me I should just set all traffic BUT FTP as priority and leave it at though.
Input?
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Since it's only FTP that you're discriminating against, I wouldn't priority queue everything else and let FTP take as much pipe until something else needs it, I'd just go ahead and police it. With high bulk data applications, I like the traffic usage to be predictable.

If you police it and they go too high, packets will start getting dropped (assuming you configure that for the exceed action), but FTP is TCP based, so you're not going to lose any data, it'll just resend the dropped packets.