Options

sessmgr.exe -service

mynameisboringmynameisboring Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can anyone tell me what "sessmgr.exe -service" does?

I've done looking around and all I can come up with is that it manages the connection to Remote Desktop service...wooopi. icon_sad.gif

What info can anyone share with me on this topic?

Comments

• Options
    david.haughndavid.haughn Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I ran into a problem with offering remote assistance and the error on the client's activity log told me that:

"The HelpAssistant account is disabled or missing, or the password could not be verified. Remote Assistance will be disabled. Restart the computer in safe mode and type the following text at the command prompt: sessmgr.exe -service. If the problem persists, contact Microsoft Product Support."

I know sessmgr.exe controls the HelpAssistant account, so as far as I can guess the account got corrupted in some way and the "sessmgr.exe -service" command reinstalls the service or resets the credentials on the account.
  • Options
    DarklyWiseDarklyWise Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Remote Desktop Help Session Manager. This service manages and controls Remote Assistance, a “named‑for‑lay‑persons” subset of Microsoft’s Remote Desktop Sharing technology. Introduced in Windows XP and also present in Windows 2003 server, but not present, by design, in Windows XP 64-bit. As per Microsoft : “Remote Assistance is a technology in Windows XP which enables Windows XP users to help each other over an internal network or over the Internet. With this tool, one user, called the "Expert," can view the desktop of another user, the "Novice.". With the Novice's permission, the Expert can even share control of the Novice's computer to resolve issues remotely. With Remote Assistance, a Help Desk can assist users on the network, which is known as the Offer Remote Assistance feature.”.

..as per:
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_s.htm
    A being Darkly Wise and Rudely Great