Options

Get a Job or Keep studying?

MienTommyMienTommy Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently a sophomore attending High School. I heard on the school announcement, that some business is looking for people who have "good typing and computer skills" to get their business up and running. Now look at this, this business is asking "High School Kids" to help get their business up. So I'm guessing the expectations aren't really "Techy High". I'm guessing they just need people who can type.
Now, it would be my first job if I applied and got accepted. But since I don't believe this is really a "tech" job, should I apply for it? Or keep on studying A+, CCNA, Linux, and learning C++. If I get a job, I won't have alot of time on my hands for studying but i'd be making money right?

edit: I plan on finishing CCNA, A+, Linux, and learning C++ by the end of senior year. So far, I am ALMOST done with A+ and ready to take the exam(but.. I don't have money to take the exam haha).

also, I am not sure what positions they have but I'm guessing it's probably lots of typing.

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    do both your getting a jump start
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do both. After high school you will be set.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with everyone else!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Both if possible... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You may want to pick a specialization, or at least learn the skills required to join the ranks of the Help Desk. I don't know many jobs that would require an A+, a CCNA and C++ knowledge.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Getting a good head start. I would say get the job and hopefully you will start to see what you are more intrested in. Most people tend to migrate towards Networking(most fun),Server side crap or programing. Keep up the studying...geez when I was in high-school I was only thinking about drinking!drunken_smilie.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    forget the job and concentrate on your studies.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do both but it'll be that much harder to keep up your studies and you may not be able to have a social life.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    Getting a job off the bat is great, but it will be much easier to progress down the road if you've got a degree. Sure, there are always exceptions to the rule, but if you want to rise through the ranks in a a company, you'll need a degree or two, depending on how high you want to go. Go part time if you must, but I would definitely recommend getting that paper. If you think it would be difficult at 18/19/20, think how it will be when you're older, with a mortgage, kids/family, etc. Get it done while you're relatively free of the adult concerns.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Your teen years will fly by fast. Don't forget to enjoy them. You will miss the more than you know. :D
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    forget the job and concentrate on your studies.

This.

That is, if your parents still pay for everything. You need to take full advantage of that.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)