Options

MS Press 2nd Edition Books?

medicmedic Member Posts: 116 ■■■□□□□□□□
I noticed on the MS site under Preparation Materials for the 642 and 640 exams they list a 2nd edition of the Self Paced Training Kit but it is not a hyperlink. How long has that been listed there? Should I hold off on buying the books and wait for the 2nd edition to come out or is that an empty promise that has been there for months?

TS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They'll probably put that out about the same time they officially announce that the tests are covering R2. (They never did anything but update the skills measured, caught a lot of people by surprise on test day)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    steve77uksteve77uk Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    God damn... I have just bought the 2008 set off Amazon and the upgrade book! Typical.
    A+ | Network+ | MCSA 2003 | MCSE 2003 | MCSA: Messaging 2003 | VCP 410

Now need 2008 Enterprise AND Exchange 2010 :cry:
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it's good to have a 2nd edition but they should at least say in simple English that this is the official time that R2 is the one to test and not let us wondering about it or let people purchase expensive materials that could be useless at some point.
  • Options
    I just got a copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed today. I think I'll hang out with that for a while and see what develops with the 2nd edition books over the next month or so.
  • Options
    steve77uksteve77uk Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    medic wrote: »
    I just got a copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed today. I think I'll hang out with that for a while and see what develops with the 2nd edition books over the next month or so.

When you are setting up the Labs, what version are you using? I have set up a load of R2 instances in the labs, but I am studying from the standard 1st edition books. Wonder if I will become a bit confused.com with this...

Steve
    A+ | Network+ | MCSA 2003 | MCSE 2003 | MCSA: Messaging 2003 | VCP 410

Now need 2008 Enterprise AND Exchange 2010 :cry:
  • Options
    I haven't started labs yet, still waiting to get a new laptop to run them on, and for that I am waiting for my holiday bonus from work (let's hope it's not a jelly of the month club!). In the mean time I'm getting a head start on the reading.

I will be labbing with R2 per the recommendations of a number of people here. That is why I'm hoping the 2nd editions books come out soon.
  • Options
    Is there any word about the 2nd edition books coming out?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I have neither heard nor seen anything other than that obscure line in the above mentioned linked Microsoft page. Just that one line that sits out there mocking me, taunting me. It's like Mircrosoft is saying, "Go ahead, buy the books now, and as soon as you do I will release the 2nd edition you schmuck! Mwahahahaha!!!"

That's how I feel about it anyway.
  • Options
    I even checked the publisher and they denied there was a 2nd edition planned. But then again they wont announce it until they publcly announce it.
  • Options
    BKPBKP Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The 642 test changed dramatically after November 11th. From what I understand, it went up to 70 questions (from 40), and includes a plethora of questions on R2, including NPS, DirectAccess, BranchCache, DNSSEC, etc.

I thought it was rather heinous of Microsoft to upgrade the test prior to releasing the MS Press version of study materials covering it (the phantom 2nd Edition). In their defense, they did release this free ebook for R2: Free eBook ? Introducing Windows Server 2008 R2 - virtualboy blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

It contains, at best, references to the new technologies, however doesn't go into deployment detail, or come off as a "study guide" venue, and it is not specific to the 642 test. I personally feel they've put the cart before the horse.

I'm off to take the "new and improved" 642 test next week. Good luck to all of you...
  • Options
    According to the born to learn blog the 70 question tests include a lot of beta questions which are ungraded. Nothing really official said though.
  • Options
    BKPBKP Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Frankly, it would be comforting to know you're right about the ungraded questions. I have a number of colleagues that have not fared as well as is standard for them, after being surprised with the new test (hearing about it for the first time) at the Prometric/VUE center.

I'm familiar with the material on 2008, and I've been working with a 2008 R2 virtual lab for my study. However, I haven't really dug into DirectAccess, DNSSEC, and a few of the other technologies, until just recently, simply because it wasn't included in the MS Press materials (which I've learned to use as a rather decent 'guide' for what will be included on these tests). I've found in the past, that if you're religious about knowing the MS Press material (even if you don't like the authors' style(s)) , you'll pass. And, what you missed is typically *in* the guide, even if sequestered away in some nook of a less relevant chapter.

So, from your mouth to the MS Gods' ears...
  • Options
    steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    According to the born to learn blog the 70 question tests include a lot of beta questions which are ungraded. Nothing really official said though.

Got a link to that? I can find the blog, but no reference to beta questions
  • Options
    I tried to find the forum post where the MS guy from MS learning stated that they would start putting R2 out with a lot of beta questions that would be ungraded. Couldn't find the post, it was from September sometime. I wouldn't count on them still being ungraded as they have now had R2 on the tests for 2 months.
    I wish I knew why MS was throwing the 70 question tests out there still. Those are kicking some serious butt. I have enough trouble doing their 40/45 question tests with only 90 minutes as I need more time to read the questions and answers.
  • Options
    steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all. I passed 648 last week. Lots of R2 questions. 60 in total.
    Can't go into details out of respect for the NDA.

I hurriedly read the R2 book referenced by BKP above. Thanks BKP.