Options

My guide and overview in regards to IT and certifications.

GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
I think the main reasons why I write this, is a combination of two things. One is my own feelings towards certification and two, is to pass this information to some of the younger or inexperienced IT people in the forum.

There are 3 major things to remember in regards to getting any IT Certification:
  1. To learn and update your own skill set. (and this never stops throughout your career)
  2. To reaffirm to yourself, that You are indeed progressing in your field.
  3. To either gain better employment or to prove to your employer that you are always upgrading your skill set for self improvement (and also for pay increases / promotions.)
A great majority of people that I have encountered in my more the 20+ years in IT, that have this certification or that certification, think that they know “everything” in the book about “all topics” in IT... ..and sadly this is the furthermost from the truth. You will encounter these types of people in your travels from workplace to workplace and even in several internet forums.

The main thing to keep in mind, are these individuals that have many “certs” on “paper”, but no major real world skills or years working in IT behind them yet. Anyone can talk about proper “theory” of any of the IT fields, but theory on paper is usually a lot different than what you will experience in the real world, on the enterprise.

Also to note and always to remember, that IT certification is a $$$money$$$ driven business. It's not about You, it's all about the money. A lot of the older IT folks remember before Windows NT, when certifications were not required. It was more word of mouth, reputation and experience that getting jobs were based off of. And while some companies still look at those qualities of individuals for new hires, the majority just look at the IT certifications that the person has, and that's it.

In addition to the information above, do not believe for one moment that vendor neutral certification is not worth getting! CompTIA and any other company that offers vendor neutral certification “is” worth getting, not only in regards to the cost of the tests, but also in the value of the training. There is a lot of people that think that these certifications are only “entry level", or not worth getting because they are not like “Microsoft certifications". Wrong.. so totally wrong... and so very far off the mark.

I'm sure there will be some negative comments about my post, however all of the above is 100% true and viable information to remember. I wish all of you, the very best in your IT endeavors.
Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)

Comments

• Options
    tribe_menxtribe_menx Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Like wat u sayin about vendor neutral certification, universities here only recognize vendor neutral certifications and not vendor certifications apart from getting certifications u get credit to some subjects
    B.Science Information Systems
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    You are right on those 3 major things with regards to IT certification. I for example whose working in the network and system field for almost 10 years and have many certs already being a generalist cause we are only 2 guys in the company handling network and administration so we are forced to network (Cisco) and systems (MS) for this. But sometimes, being a generalist is hard because even I myself sometimes forgot some commands and admin things and need to resort to my books and technet. Having many certification is good but you cannot store it all in your mind and always, one way or the other will resort to going back to books, technet and google to remember specific things.