Options

A few questions about MCSA/MCSE

MooshykrisMooshykris Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm new to the forum.

Just as a quick introduction:

I'm Chris. I'm currently CompTIA Network+ Certified. I am currently working on my A+, Server 2003 (70-290), and XP (70-270) certifications as well.

Now, onto my questions:

I'm taking a technical course at a technical school with the goal of learning the skills needed to certify as an MCSA. I fully intend to complete my course and certify. However, I've decided to also self-study and become not just an MCSA, but an MCSE. With that, I have a couple of questions:

Firstly, I don't fully understand the difference between becoming an MCSE "straight out" or "upgrading" to it. I don't understand this, because all of the required exams I would be taking for MCSA are also part of MCSE's core. If I finish the others first, I would automatically become an MCSA first, so, what is the difference?

Secondly, a larger, and more important question.

From my knowledge I have gathered, MCSE already requires the core MCSA exams, XP (70-270), Server 2003 (70-290), Server 2003 Infrastructure (70-291), and two electives (in my case, CompTIA A+ and Network+).

On top of that, it requires 70-293, and 70-294, two Planning Certifications, and then a Design Certification (70-297, and/or 70-298 if I remember correction.)

What I am unsure of, do you have to take another elective as well? Or do the MCSA Electives cover that?

Thanks,

~Chris

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Difference:
    I'm not a Microsoft guy by any means but from what I've seen you would take the MCSA to certify that you know what you're doing in regards to the basic features/associate level aspects of a systems admin. The MCSE is a continuation of studies and includes studies in design, active directory, and more. The MCSE would suggest you are extremely solid when it comes to administering Windows Server 2003. Think of it as flying a baby/starter plane vs. flying a 747. You have to start out with the basics before moving into the full fledged position.

In terms of "upgrading" the MCSA or MCSE, both can be upgraded to the MCITP:EA or SA which delves into Windows Server 2008(now R2). If you do the MCSE "flat out" you will achieve MCSA status enroute to it (just as you would achieve CCNA enroute to CC*P "any pro cisco cert").

Sample Exam route:

Example:
    70-680 - Win 7 (you can use your windows xp to stay on the MCSE level but 680/620 will be needed to go to MCITP I believe)
    70-290, 291, A+, Net+ - Grants you MCSA

now add the following as you said:
    70-293, 70-294, 70-297 or 70-298 - Grants you MCSE

at any point you can add on a specialization as long as the exam is still offered:
    70-299 for Security
    70-284 for Messaging (expires in March)
    I excluded 699 because thats a whole nother can of worms.

In regards to electives:
    You do not have to re-do electives you have already taken. As long as you met the requirements for MCSA, they apply to MCSE. For specialization, you will need a total of two electives (which includes your first elective).

Links to MS site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcsa.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    There is no difference as to whether you aquire the MCSE all at once, or get the MCSA first. The tests for the MCSA are part of the MCSE. Like you said, if you take them in the normal order you will become an MCSA first whether you're trying to or not.

The elective requirement for the MCSA will fulfill the same requirement for the MCSE. So your A+/N+ will fill the elective for both.

On a side note, since XP is on a downhill slide I would opt for the 70-680 exam on Windows 7 rather than the 70-270. Seems like it would be of more use in the future.

Good luck on your journey - I'm just starting out as well.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    MooshykrisMooshykris Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    There is no difference as to whether you aquire the MCSE all at once, or get the MCSA first. The tests for the MCSA are part of the MCSE. Like you said, if you take them in the normal order you will become an MCSA first whether you're trying to or not.

The elective requirement for the MCSA will fulfill the same requirement for the MCSE. So your A+/N+ will fill the elective for both.

On a side note, since XP is on a downhill slide I would opt for the 70-680 exam on Windows 7 rather than the 70-270. Seems like it would be of more use in the future.

Good luck on your journey - I'm just starting out as well.

I plan on taking both XP and 7. My technical school still teaches XP as the main because of the fact that XP still is used in the majority of the market.