Options

Politely Object?

TwistedSwitchTwistedSwitch Registered Users Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I have a possible situation coming up next month where I will be offered a full time position at my current job where I currently work as a Temp help desk analyst. I have been working as a temp here for 1.5 years while I finish school.

I graduate in January, and I am expecting to get an offer to work full time. There will be 2 full time help desk analyst then. Currently I know what the position pays or at least what the other tech makes, and that is where I have a question.

I need to know if it is politically ok to politely object to the offer if need be?

First off let me give you guys some history about me Vs the other tech( Not trying to boast, just trying to give you guys an idea of my mindset)

I have worked here about a year longer than the guy who just got hired on as full time.

I have few more certifications.

I carry about 3/4`s more of the work load each month while he does about a 1/4.

Given my senior experience and work ethic over him I feel like I should get a little bit more than him. Now I know I cant go into the interview and act like I know what he makes, But I am thinking I can as mentioned politely object to offer if its not what I feel like I am worth.

So yes, you guys see the way I am thinking now so if you please give me some tips on how I can go about trying to get a better offer if it comes to that. I just do not want to go into the interview and roll over like a dog and accept anything.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can negotiate a for a better offer. But to flat out reject the offer will likely end your opportunity.

You have 1.5 years as a temp working onsite at the company. He has been employed with the "company" longer than you and according to HR will be senior to you based on lenght of time employed. Unless the company is going to recoginize the temp work you performed.

Use your lenght of time as a temp to your advantage. You already have an in-depth knowledge of the systems in place. Use any email accolades that you have gotten from management or supervisors. But don't talk down the other tech. There is a time and place for that, but not while negotiating for better pay. It makes you look bad.

Welcome to the forums.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ^^+1 to what he said. Putting it more bluntly you will be perceived as a little Bee-atch if you act like you should get paid more because he/she does.

My own opinion >> Have they TOLD you that they are hiring you soon? Don't put the cart before the horse. If I were you and had been a temp there for this long I wouldn't count on it (unless someone in management told you or better yet in writing). I'd be hunting for a new job just in case they don't.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »

My own opinion >> Have they TOLD you that they are hiring you soon? Don't put the cart before the horse. If I were you and had been a temp there for this long I wouldn't count on it (unless someone in management told you or better yet in writing). I'd be hunting for a new job just in case they don't.

Yes, I have been told, and of course I am not betting all on this either. , And I have been a temp so long is because I am a full time student.
  • Options
    azjag wrote: »
    But don't talk down the other tech. There is a time and place for that, but not while negotiating for better pay. It makes you look bad.

Welcome to the forums.

Thank you, and nooo I would never mention their name.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your best bet is just to make a counteroffer. That's not saying they'll meet it or even budge from their original offer.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I understand that there is really no easy way to bargain for more money.

Thank you so far for the advice.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Your best bet is just to make a counteroffer. That's not saying they'll meet it or even budge from their original offer.

I definitely have this wrote down in my battle kit lol
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Hummm dont screw up
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    Hummm dont screw up

lol... I will try not to. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    My planned approach so far is going to be to counter offer like Earweed said.

If the offer is bad, I plan on saying something to the affect of " I thought I was worth more than that" and list all the positives about me, and ask for the counter offer.

But yea, as mentioned I doubt they budge, and if thats so I will accept if their is not other options available ( working on more options of course) I will also say secretly in my mind " Consider me on the job hunt."
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Start lining up other job offers. The proper way to negotiate a salary is to have somewhere else to go if need be.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't say you "thought you were worth more than that." Explain that the skills you will bring to the organization justify a higher salary. Explain what those skills are. Explain the value of your certifications and experience. Explain the goals you plan to pursue once you are hired, such as seeking more certifications. Don't compare yourself directly to anyone else. And don't bring up the topic of money at all until they give you an offer.
  • Options
    Pratt2 wrote: »
    Don't say you "thought you were worth more than that." Explain that the skills you will bring to the organization justify a higher salary. Explain what those skills are. Explain the value of your certifications and experience. Explain the goals you plan to pursue once you are hired, such as seeking more certifications. Don't compare yourself directly to anyone else. And don't bring up the topic of money at all until they give you an offer.

Gotcha, so when they say Here is your offer $????? I can then go into a spill about me as you mentioned.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Are they making you "Apply" for the position? If so there may be the option to put your own value into the mix. Last job I had when I went from contract to full-time they had me apply for the job. I knew what they paid the full-timers so when they asked what I was looking for I made sure to shoot a bit higher. Good luck and hopefully they realize your value.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    I Think he works there as a temp?
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Are they making you "Apply" for the position? If so there may be the option to put your own value into the mix. Last job I had when I went from contract to full-time they had me apply for the job. I knew what they paid the full-timers so when they asked what I was looking for I made sure to shoot a bit higher. Good luck and hopefully they realize your value.

I was told either this week or the next I will be given a "formal offer", and I figure I will go into a little meeting when this happens, and if so that is when I plan to rebuttal the offer if need be.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was told either this week or the next I will be given a "formal offer", and I figure I will go into a little meeting when this happens, and if so that is when I plan to rebuttal the offer if need be.

You have to keep in mind that unless you are well liked by those giving you the offer, you might not have much room to bargain with. (Especially in this economy). It also depends on where you are at regionally...some things can fly better at some places than others.

I would definitely do some homework and get other offers lined up. I would also not try to pull the whiny move of why you should get more than your counterpart as that will only make you look bad. If it ends up being +/- a few grand, that's really nothing to cry about after taxes are concerned. In your case, I would do the counteroffer (they have a right to say yes or no) and if they accept, great, if not, take the offer anyway. You can then take your show on the road when you find something better. That's what I did. I was making $32k a year when some joke who called himself a tech came in making $37k. I had already been busting my tail for 3 years. I asked what gives, and was told he was best friends with the HR director and that the HR director really didn't care for me one bit. Needless to say, I stuck around for a few months and got another position make $40k-$41k...about several years later I'm now at $88k (starting 1/1/2011). :D

Point is, sometimes you need a catalyst to get you to move on to bigger and better things. Maybe this is it. Otherwise, you get to complacent in both salary and skillset. Sounds like you're a young guy too, so you still have time to bounce around before you settle down with a company/career in IT you like. (In my case, I like database administration/ERP implementation/administration...that's where the $$$ is for me... :D ).

Best of luck.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You have to keep in mind that unless you are well liked by those giving you the offer, you might not have much room to bargain with. (Especially in this economy). It also depends on where you are at regionally...some things can fly better at some places than others.

I would definitely do some homework and get other offers lined up. I would also not try to pull the whiny move of why you should get more than your counterpart as that will only make you look bad. If it ends up being +/- a few grand, that's really nothing to cry about after taxes are concerned. In your case, I would do the counteroffer (they have a right to say yes or no) and if they accept, great, if not, take the offer anyway. You can then take your show on the road when you find something better. That's what I did. I was making $32k a year when some joke who called himself a tech came in making $37k. I had already been busting my tail for 3 years. I asked what gives, and was told he was best friends with the HR director and that the HR director really didn't care for me one bit. Needless to say, I stuck around for a few months and got another position make $40k-$41k...about several years later I'm now at $88k (starting 1/1/2011). :D

Point is, sometimes you need a catalyst to get you to move on to bigger and better things. Maybe this is it. Otherwise, you get to complacent in both salary and skillset. Sounds like you're a young guy too, so you still have time to bounce around before you settle down with a company/career in IT you like. (In my case, I like database administration/ERP implementation/administration...that's where the $$$ is for me... :D ).

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice! As far as I can tell I am well liked, and no I would never bring up what the other guy makes.

And yes, I will not wait around and get complacent never.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Having evidence of why you are worth more to the company is very important. You said you do 3/4 of the workload and he does 1/4. If you really do 3 times the amount of work, make sure you have proof/documentation of this, and don't be afraid to bring it up in the negotiation. Don't do it to criticize the other person though, just make sure you keep it about your value to the company, and not why "X" is a bad employee.