Options

Getting a REAL IT job?

over9000over9000 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm extremely new to the IT field, (just got an A+ cert last year and hoped for the best since I love computers). However, I don't think my current IT job is helping me out that much. I literally only reset passwords. I've tried sticking it out hoping for better work later, but I haven't done anything new for the past 8 months and realize it's time for a change. The problem is that other than this job I have no other IT experience.

I've tried applying for other help desk jobs, but I get no callbacks at all. It seems like the minimum requirements for these positions is to know AD, (Remedy or another ticketing systems), have troubleshooting experience with XP, Vista, 7, and Office for Tier I help desk positions. Sometimes some of these positions want people who have experience with Citrix and Server 2003/2008, but doesn't this seem a bit much for a Tier I position or Desktop Support position?

I even tried submitting my resume to recruiting companies, and there's been no luck there. They don't even tell you what to work on or anything, (am I supposed to call them back and ask? confused.png) They just don't call back.

My resume's probably bad, but I don't really know what OSes I can list that I know since I don't have any Microsoft certs in any OSes yet just A+. I've used the Microsoft Office programs, but only did the Online Microsoft training on them which would make me proficient in them, but I don't know what I need to know so I could troubleshoot them.

This probably sounds dumb, but what certs should I get to meet the requirements for these positions so I can get a better job. I'm seeing that A+/Net+ isn't really enough for these positions in my area at least. I'm going to finish up Security+ in a couple of weeks to get lifetime certs, but I'm wondering what to do after that so I could get a better job.

Should I give up on trying to find a help desk job and try and get a Field Tech job? I'll accept contract work, but honestly I want something more stable and with benefits. (It's hasn't been fun having no benefits for the past 8 months, even though I'm employed.)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :D

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to TE!

First off, what is your end goal? Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years? What part of IT interests you the most?

Once you have answered those questions for yourself, the cert direction can then be unveiled.

What is your current situation? Are you switching from another field? Are you a student?

Getting the Sec+ to complete the triad is definitely a great idea. This is not only because its a decently major player in the DoD 8570m but because the knowledge you obtain from those studies is applicable in several IT fields. I highly suggest this book as it is the rave of the forums:

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books

You might want to post your resume here with anonymous data for your previous names and anonymous your name/contact info. There's tons of professionals on this board from all over IT who can give you great insight on it.

In terms of getting to know the OSes (AD/Win08 and the like), take a look at VMware and Virtualbox. You can use these software applications to emulate other OSes without having to physically install them on your active machine (you must have the OS image though).
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    over9000 wrote: »
    I'm extremely new to the IT field, (just got an A+ cert last year and hoped for the best since I love computers). However, I don't think my current IT job is helping me out that much. I literally only reset passwords. I've tried sticking it out hoping for better work later, but I haven't done anything new for the past 8 months and realize it's time for a change. The problem is that other than this job I have no other IT experience.

I've tried applying for other help desk jobs, but I get no callbacks at all. It seems like the minimum requirements for these positions is to know AD, (Remedy or another ticketing systems), have troubleshooting experience with XP, Vista, 7, and Office for Tier I help desk positions. Sometimes some of these positions want people who have experience with Citrix and Server 2003/2008, but doesn't this seem a bit much for a Tier I position or Desktop Support position?

I even tried submitting my resume to recruiting companies, and there's been no luck there. They don't even tell you what to work on or anything, (am I supposed to call them back and ask? confused.png) They just don't call back.

My resume's probably bad, but I don't really know what OSes I can list that I know since I don't have any Microsoft certs in any OSes yet just A+. I've used the Microsoft Office programs, but only did the Online Microsoft training on them which would make me proficient in them, but I don't know what I need to know so I could troubleshoot them.

This probably sounds dumb, but what certs should I get to meet the requirements for these positions so I can get a better job. I'm seeing that A+/Net+ isn't really enough for these positions in my area at least. I'm going to finish up Security+ in a couple of weeks to get lifetime certs, but I'm wondering what to do after that so I could get a better job.

Should I give up on trying to find a help desk job and try and get a Field Tech job? I'll accept contract work, but honestly I want something more stable and with benefits. (It's hasn't been fun having no benefits for the past 8 months, even though I'm employed.)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :D

You need more hands on. A year or two of field tech will help you not only land a better job but also do a better job in the future. Suggest you pick off the entry level OS certifications and if you do go field tech you try and pick up some elementary network installation work as well as PC/server installs. Make sure you get some awareness of how AD is used internally in the shop you work for even if you dont support it while you ar out and about for clients, and study hard how a PC/Server is attached to an AD network and pulls resources from it. Far too many field techs treat an install or inplace upgrade as a one stop shop. You need to learn how that component interacts with everything else especially AD. So the OS certifications help there. Try the MCP, CNA, Linux +, SCSA and you should have things surrounded.