Options

Another Hardware question....

Omar78Omar78 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
i am on the academy course..and have just started semester 2

I asked my instructor what hardware i would need to complete the ccna.. he said i would need 2600 series routers and 2900 switch.

is this correct?? iv been looking on ebay.. and cant really afford the 2600 or 2900 series stuff.. and it appears most of you guys seem to be using the 2500 stuff.

would 2 Cisco 1720 routers be ok?

if someone could help me and clarify things for me..

Comments

• Options
    TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    I would recommend the 2500 series routers and 2900 series switches.
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • Options
    so if i got a 2500 series router with the latest ios .. that would cover me for the ccna?

there wouldnt be anything that i would need a 2600 series router for?
  • Options
    Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    www.ciscokits.com

Grab yourself duel 2501 router kit and a switch.

That's all you will need.

Email the guy if you want something particular.

I wouldn't recoomend getting anything off ebay. Most the sellers on there are 4x more expensive then various other websites.
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    I bought my stuff from www.virtualrack.net. The prices seem to be reasonable and they come with 16/D 16F and the lastest IOS.

I got two 2507's and a 1912 switch and all the cables needed for 300.00 out-the-door. I believe the 2900 switch has a different interface than the 1900's but I was told that would be ok. I believe you can do everything for the CCNA with the 2500's and the 1900's because so far I'm not having any trouble doing labs. I am also in Cisco II and my teacher told me that my equipment would work fine for the CCNA.

Best of luck on your search. It took me 3 months of research to finally by my equipment.
  • Options
    ...you will need an ISDN simulator which can be expensive. But, I wouldn't worry about that because you are in the Cisco classes. Your school lab should have the ISDN simulator to work on the ISDN labs. I know my school does have the simulator so I'm just going to practice ISDN there.
  • Options
    williamwbishopwilliamwbishop Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Fu Loser wrote:
    www.ciscokits.com

Grab yourself duel 2501 router kit and a switch.

That's all you will need.

Email the guy if you want something particular.

I wouldn't recoomend getting anything off ebay. Most the sellers on there are 4x more expensive then various other websites.

I'd recommend buying off ebay and being careful. If you can beat what I paid for my lab off any site, I'd be surprised. Just be careful, and well...use some common sense.
  • Options
    I also wanted to note, I don't think you will need the ISDN simulator for the ccna. For the ccnp, definately, but not for the ccna.

And in case you're wondering, my lab was 220 dollars total, for 5 routers(3x2501's, 1 2502, 1 2504), and a catalyst 1924, with transcievers and cables, 2 extra flash sticks, and some memory. I did however get 1 dead serial port, which he offered to refund or exchange the router, but it wasn't worth the shipping. but hey, that's 9 serial ports, 3 ethernet, 1 bri and a couple unused token ring ports total. EBAY CAN BE YOUR FRIEND.
  • Options
    fuseboxfusebox Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also wanted to note, I don't think you will need the ISDN simulator for the ccna. For the ccnp, definately, but not for the ccna.

Can we get confirmation on this?

You got an excellent deal I must admit.... I bought two 2503 + catylst1900 switch with a whole bunch of cables etc for $685 (AUS) off ebay. May be alittle high but oh well...
    Im a newbie.... please be easy on me.
  • Options
    And in case you're wondering, my lab was 220 dollars total, for 5 routers(3x2501's, 1 2502, 1 2504), and a catalyst 1924, with transcievers and cables, 2 extra flash sticks, and some memory

Yes, you got a good deal. i wish I found a deal like that! :D I, on the other hand have not come across a deal like that on Ebay. I know it is a matter of just watching the auctions.

In regards to the ISDN sim, I was told by my Cisco teacher that in Cisco IV we work with ISDN so hence the need for the sim. Like I said above I'm going to use the schools and not study that in my lab.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You need to know ISDN and the primary ISDN related commands, but an ISDN simulator costs about the same as three used routers, which most people consider too much for 'just' the ISDN commands. Though if money is not a problem, and you plan to go all the way (CCNP, BCRAN exam in particular) then an ISDN sim is a useful item to add to your lab.
  • Options
    fuseboxfusebox Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was about to say that it seems you need three 3 routers to simulate an ISDN network.

Thanks for the confirmation Webmaster :)
    Im a newbie.... please be easy on me.
  • Options
    im in the uk.. and te postage cost is too high to ship.. but prices in the us are a lot cheaper than here in the uk..

iv just gone and bought some equipment from ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5750126863

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5751202426

i hope i havent bought a load of %*&@ which i will end up having to resell back on ebay..

i think i can get hold of the latest ios images.. im just a bit concerned about the memory..

will wait and see when it comes..
  • Options
    I have just realised that the 2504 is a Token Ring router! im not sure how relevant this is to ccna..
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Well if you have token ring connections, they'll work for your routing, but yeah, stick with the 2501's ;)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    Omar78 wrote:
    I have just realised that the 2504 is a Token Ring router! im not sure how relevant this is to ccna..

It's a cheap way to get extra serial ports. I have two token ring routers, but I use the serials. They're cheaper, and you get added complexity for your lab. Don't worry. You might need more flash in that first router though, it looks like it has 4 meg, which is low. I may have misread it though. No worries though, it's cheap off ebay. Now go find yourself some cheap back to back db60's. Remember to shop carefully, make sure of what you are buying....never buy on impulse. If you feel yourself jumping at something, think three times.
  • Options
    iv managed to d/l the following IOS images..

could someone tell me which one would be the best one to use? for my 2503/2504 routers

c2500-i-l.121-21
    c2500-i-l.121-24
    C2500-Is-L 113-11c
    c2500-is-l_120-7

also is there a tutorial on upgrading the memory?
  • Options
    i emailed the seller..informing him that i didnt know it was a token ring router.. and he offered me a refund..which i took.
  • Options
    iv just got myself a 1912-EN switch off ebay .. so now i just need 1 more router..and i should be all setup..