Options

Anyone using WiMax?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
There's some deals this week on laptops with built-in Wimax, and of course discount if you sign up for the service (2 yr contract). Just wondering how it performs in the field, if anyone has it for work or home.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I don't know anybody using WiMAX with a computer but I know some people with HTC EVO phones which can use WiMAX and they seem to be pretty happy with the speeds.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I have a ClearWire air card and the performance is pretty good. Switches to 3G when I roam out of the 4G network.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use one of these.
    CPEi 750 - Motorola USA

But it may not be relevant to you, I live in a small country, 99% of the country is covered by the 3 wimax service providers, and I just use it at home.

The service is stable, but like DSL sometimes it just drops for few minutes, or for days if they are doing upgrades etc.
  • Options
    ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    Used to have it and the service was pretty good. They would choke uploads though...especially on torrents and VPN. Then I moved to a place with built-in fiber. After that, I had 2 Mi-Fi devices... Wi-Max and 3G. Kept the 3G which was much slower but had better coverage.

Here's a sample of the type of speed it got:

828506039.png
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow