Options

router for home

hello folks... I'm looking for a Cisco router for my home to be connected to my Cable modem... I looked at a few 800 series routers on ebay... but the ones I saw were a mere 10 mbps ethernet... I'm looking for 100... also... it would be helpful to have several ethernet ports to avoid having to use a hub... I can't really afford a whole lab at my house... so I'd just like a little something to fool around with... thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    Your cable bandwidth is most likely not even half of your 10Mbps speed. It would only be a factor when sending data inside your localnet.

I'm not familiar enough with the baby Cisco routers to make a recommendation. I use a Netgear router - MR814 - 802.11b with 4 10/100 Ethernet ports, and it works like a champ. My host-based firewall gets bored because the Netgear doesn't let much of anything in. :)
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • Options
    xwesleyxwillisxxwesleyxwillisx Member Posts: 158
    lol I know I sure as hell don't get a 10 MB connection from Comcast... I just meant the bandwidth for my local LAN... I have a D-Link router that works fine... It's just cool to have a Cisco router icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    ...but what does "cool" get you? icon_cool.gif Not too much, to be honest. So you can say you're "1337" cause you have a Cisco router installed... it's not gonna get you a date, though. ;)

Go with what *works* and gives you the best bang for the buck. Cisco definitely works... but is it the most cost effective solution? That money could be better spent upgrading video to play Half Life 2 in all its glory. :)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
  • Options
    williamwbishopwilliamwbishop Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ...but what does "cool" get you? icon_cool.gif Not too much, to be honest. So you can say you're "1337" cause you have a Cisco router installed... it's not gonna get you a date, though. ;)

Go with what *works* and gives you the best bang for the buck. Cisco definitely works... but is it the most cost effective solution? That money could be better spent upgrading video to play Half Life 2 in all its glory. :)

Yeah, but after the hundredth kill, how much fun is it...really?
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Well, unless you're actually subnetting your local site, it doesn't matter what speed your router is, it's still only dealing with your WAN links, and those are going to be less than 10mbs. And if this is a simple home lab and you're looking to subnet like 2 or 3 boxes, you're being excessive ;) Routers with 2 fastethernet ports still sell for a pretty penny. I mean, yeah, I'm running a 2621 behind my cable modem, but that sorta fell into my lap (It's nice when work decides to junk a router because something silly like a WIC slot isn't working ;))
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options

I dunno about you, but I'm having a blast playing through it.
    Kaplan IT
  • Options
    medicmedic Member Posts: 116 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The 830 series will give you one 10 Mbps WAN port and a built in 4 port 10/100 switch for your LAN interface so you will have 100 Mbps for your LAN, just like the netgear routers.

I agree, it doesn't make much sence in the price vs value dept but if money is no object, it would be much more fun and geek like to do your own config with NAT, ACLs, etc...
  • Options
    williamwbishopwilliamwbishop Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□

I dunno about you, but I'm having a blast playing through it.

I tried...I mean, I waited like 2 years for it, bought it, and made it through what seemed an infinite number of levels, and just...well...I got bored. It just got too repetitive. The graphics and game play are incredible, don't get me wrong. The first time I fired it up, my jaw hit the floor. It's spectacular design, I guess I just lost my taste for the gameplay.