Server 2008 and Cisco Course

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I hope everything is well with everybody. A few questions I have regarding the course that I am currently taking (Server 2008 & Cisco Networking).

How much would be my salary range if I can say that I have managed, configured and troubleshooted Servers and Cisco routers, switches and hubs in an networked environment?

What are the important topics I need to know very well when I get into the workplace? Thanks.

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Alhaji265 wrote: »
    How much would be my salary range if I can say that I have managed, configured and troubleshooted Servers and Cisco routers, switches and hubs in an networked environment?
    Honestly, it's going to depend mostly on what area you work in and how much professional experience, exactly, you have. There's no "right" answer for this question, unfortunately. You can try looking at something like Salary.com, or search the job-boards in your area, but you'll probably get skewed results that assume you have a Bachelor's degree, certs, and a few years' experience.
    Alhaji265 wrote: »
    What are the important topics I need to know very well when I get into the workplace? Thanks.
    For Cisco, the CCNA topics are a good place to start. You should probably also pick up a copy of Network Warrior, as soon as you know enough to pass the CCNA exam(s).

As for Windows Server, you're probably going to want to look at the topics covered in the three MCTS exams, (70-640, 70-642, and 70-643,) to start with. I'd also recommend looking at one of the pro-level exams, (70-646 for Server Administrator and 70-647 for Enterprise Administrator,) as well as the Windows 7 exam topics so you know that you have a client OS under your belt as well.

In short, the easy answer here is that you'll probably want to be CCNA and MCITP: Server or Enterprise Administrator certified if you want to find a job that pays what you're hoping for. Keep in mind, most companies want to see a degree, (preferably Bachelor's, but an Associate's will do,) as well as experience, before they put you on the payroll. Expect to start at the bottom, probably doing helpdesk, PC repair, or junior-level admin work as you start off and build up that experience. Oh, and a word to the wise: most people will assume you're an Exchange expert if you know Windows Server, so you'll probably want to study up on that as well as you move up the IT-ladder.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One thing that needs to bee addressed. Taking a COURSE in Cisco technologies is not work experience. It can be listed on a resume as a skill or education just as a certificate is not experience. Ensure you are honest on your resume.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.