Options

How do you guys remember all the protocol associated timers?

ryanlin2002ryanlin2002 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am currently studying for my CCIE R&S, and am having a hard time memorizing the timers for each protocol. For example, with multicast, there are a lot of different timers with PIM-DM and PIM-SM (auto-rp and bootstrap). I am just wondering how do you guys manage to memorize these details without making your brain explode, haha..

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Anytime I've had to remember things of that sort, I've found that flash card help reinforce those kinds of memorization items. Granted I've not had to memorize the amount of data needed for CCIE, but you might try it.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I just memorize where to find things. Granted in the other exams you had to know them, but I find that learning the DOC CD is a great way for real world and Studying to find the quick answers to your questions. Also above flash cards work great when you really need to know something, but knowing where to find it is a great importance.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hi all,

I am currently studying for my CCIE R&S, and am having a hard time memorizing the timers for each protocol. For example, with multicast, there are a lot of different timers with PIM-DM and PIM-SM (auto-rp and bootstrap). I am just wondering how do you guys manage to memorize these details without making your brain explode, haha..

Thanks

You shouldn't get hung up on timers and minutia for the CCIE written. It's more important you understand the mechanism itself. In that way you should recall the parameters more easily. You can make a list of all this stuff my protocol and try and commit it to memory but for me it comes more easily once I understand how the mechanics work and study some configuration examples. The exam will not batter you for simple answers to obscure things like timer values but it may throw in a config where parameters are part of the answer to a question such as 'which path is preferred' etc.
  • Options
    ryanlin2002ryanlin2002 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all for the feedback.