Options

From Grunt to Nerd

ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just passed Security+ today and that makes 3 for A+, Network+, and Security+ in just under 4 months. I was in the military as an Infantryman for 7 years surrounded by idiots until I was finally released. It just goes to show that you don't have to be a genius and with some self dedication and hard work you can achieve your goals. Now off to get some Microsoft certs for next year, I'm thinking 70-680/686 and MCSA/MSCA: Security.:D

Comments

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Congrats. I spent enough time as a grunt myself to earn my cushy job. 8 hours seems to go by so quick compared to 12-14. ;)

Are you currently working?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What city are you living in? We have a pretty active group of south western Ohioans on the forums here.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Very well done, that is working hard right there! Best of luck in the future and thanks for serving, much respect!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just passed Security+ today and that makes 3 for A+, Network+, and Security+ in just under 4 months. I was in the military as an Infantryman for 7 years surrounded by idiots until I was finally released. It just goes to show that you don't have to be a genius and with some self dedication and hard work you can achieve your goals. Now off to get some Microsoft certs for next year, I'm thinking 70-680/686 and MCSA/MSCA: Security.:D

While I'm not a big fan US foreign policy, calling your previous colleagues "idiots" seems a bit harsh, no? Remember, you used to be one of those idiots.

Many good contributors here are ex. US Military. I've noted on a number of occasions that Marines seem to be especially over-represented.*

* edit: I don't know if this is because marines are drawn/suited for IT work or whether it's because they REALLY don't wan't to go back into battle :)
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    While I'm not a big fan US foreign policy, calling your previous colleagues "idiots" seems a bit harsh, no? Remember, you used to be one of those idiots.

Many good contributors here are ex. US Military. I've noted on a number of occasions that Marines seem to be especially over-represented.*

* edit: I don't know if this is because marines are drawn/suited for IT work or whether it's because they REALLY don't wan't to go back into battle :)

No, seriously we had some idiots! Most were normal but, come on were talking Infantry here!

I'm from around Cleveland now and in the Army Reserve but trying to transfer to another branch or the guard to get trained in IT, Intel, or UAV's
  • Options
    bc901bc901 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□

I'm from around Cleveland now and in the Army Reserve but trying to transfer to another branch or the guard to get trained in IT, Intel, or UAV's

Try the Coast Guard. I'm in as an Electronics Tech, but I'm thinking about switching over to the IT side to gain experience before getting out. Our ITs cover EVERYTHING related to IT, unlike Navy techs who are specialized.

No disrespect to the Navy techs. :D
  • Options
    Hada944Hada944 Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting. My time in the infantry left me in awe with some of those guys intelligence. Of course that was in the Marine Corps, perhaps the Army is different. Try serving in a Comm Squadron in the Air Force if you want to see idiots. The thing is, people who think they are smart because they do smart sounding stuff, usually are not really that bright. This IT stuff isn't that mentally demanding. I've met more grunts who would make it as IT douche's than I have IT pogue's who would make it as grunts.

Don't be so quick to turn your back on where you came from. Get some IT experience and deal with some of the quacks in the tech arena and you'll be yearning for times with those "idiots".

Are you the smartest person you know?
    "Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough"
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on completing the Trifecta and thanks for serving.
    I'm ex-Navy but wasn't in IT or even electronics. I was a machinist mate on a sub. We had a bunch of bright people on board and quite a few numbskulls, you'll find them everywhere.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Congrats, although I agree calling anyone who serves in the military an idiot is a bit harsh. Sure they may make stupid choices at time, but they are risking their lives for us, so they are not idiots....

I am currently in the military but in Signal, not Infantry, so I do see your point as most of our security violations are caused by Infrantrymen, but they are not idiots, just technically challenged.

Good luck in your future studies.
  • Options
    We had IT guys in the army who were dumb and smart. We had one guy I deployed with that did not know anything and us infantry had to school him!

There is alot of back and forth on talking trash to each other, (like how the IT guys said that we were just pissed because they will get out of the army and get a great career and the infantry guys were just plain screwed) they were right for the most part on that.

Well you know what they say; if you can't beat em, join em!!