Options

MBA Technology Management

wheezwheez Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Yes, I've seen the other recent thread about MBA programs. I feel my question is too different, so decided to start my own thread.. :)

I'm investigating options to pursue a MBA degree with an (Information) Technology specialization through an online program.

Why online? Because none of the local universities/colleges (Netherlands) seems to offer the specialization.

Why the specialization? I've worked in the IT field for years, currently as an IT supervisor and working towards a IT manager position in the near future. My 5-10 year goal would be an IT director position. I've also discussed this with our VP of IT. He believes that with my career objective, despite the lack of face to face discussions/interaction the online MBA with specialization would be a better option than pursuing a 'regular' MBA program locally.

Now the only online program that accepts foreign students (as a lot of them are US-based) I've found so far is:

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) - Technology Management - Walden University

Anyone has experience with Walden? Any other options that might be good/better choices?

Thanks!
WIP: Considering cert path.. :-)

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I haven't heard anything bad about Walden.

I would try to find a school that is AACSB if you are pursuing an MBA.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, the VP of IT is telling you something directly about your chances in his hierarchy, so it holds weight. In my opinion, I would think the specialty wouldn't matter however, especially if your undergrad was tech related. There is a lot of criticism throw at folks seeking MBAs, and rightly so, there are tons of folks out there with MBAs that are worth much and cannot find work.

Since you are in Europe, this may be entirely different for you, though.

Here in the US, the reputation of the school is the best advantage you can get from your MBA, that and the network that you build. With that being said, an online program seems like it might limit your ability to build that network. I have mentioned it before, but there is the option of an Executive MBA. They tend to meet once or twice a month, giving you much of the flexibility of an online MBA.

What will a specialty really give you? From what I have seen, and MBA with a technical specialty is not entirely different than an BS in Information Systems, as far as curriculum. If you already have down basic of information systems, like SDLC, project management, off-the-shelf vs custom built software, etc, I cannot see you really getting much from the specialty.

Of course, you get more benefit based off of what you put in...
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Check out the Florida Institute of Technology: MBA in IT Management - MBA Information Technology Management
    Thanks, I'll have a look!
    powerfool wrote:
    Well, the VP of IT is telling you something directly about your chances in his hierarchy, so it holds weight. In my opinion, I would think the specialty wouldn't matter however, especially if your undergrad was tech related. There is a lot of criticism throw at folks seeking MBAs, and rightly so, there are tons of folks out there with MBAs that are worth much and cannot find work.

Since you are in Europe, this may be entirely different for you, though.

Here in the US, the reputation of the school is the best advantage you can get from your MBA, that and the network that you build. With that being said, an online program seems like it might limit your ability to build that network. I have mentioned it before, but there is the option of an Executive MBA. They tend to meet once or twice a month, giving you much of the flexibility of an online MBA.

What will a specialty really give you? From what I have seen, and MBA with a technical specialty is not entirely different than an BS in Information Systems, as far as curriculum. If you already have down basic of information systems, like SDLC, project management, off-the-shelf vs custom built software, etc, I cannot see you really getting much from the specialty.

Of course, you get more benefit based off of what you put in...
    And thanks to you as well! The lack of getting to build a network is exactly my biggest concern, but yes.. I think the opinion of our VP definitely matters as well! :) I'm not hurrying into this so will be looking at possibilities for a bit more. I've requested loads of information so will a lot to read through. Just want to make a well-informed decision and regret the choice in a couple of years down the road.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    WGU also has a an MBA: IT Management: MBA in Technology Management | Online MBA | WGU College of Business Online

Probably what I'll go for after my BS.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    Hey chmorin, from what I've found they don't accept foreign students, at least not yet. Thanks anyway!
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    wheez wrote: »
    Hey chmorin, from what I've found they don't accept foreign students, at least not yet. Thanks anyway!

Oh my bad, sorry buddy.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.